1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck comparison

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by P&C Lawn Care, Jan 5, 2004.

1. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know of a non biased study of the new trucks, one that is not paid for by Ford, Dodge or Chevy? I keep seeing this new commercial on TV for the NEW Ford Powerstroke and how it outpulls, and it has the little disclaimer at the bottom stated using automatic transmissions, although I do not see it very far ahead of the Chevy (and it was not shown against a Dodge). I would like to see a test result done by an independant third party to see TRUE results of the big three trucks.
  2. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

Try Motor Trend ( www.trucktrend.com )or an other auto magazine. They put the trucks through all kinds of different test that the trucks may encounter by a consumer.
  3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Check the mpg on those trucks as well. The Powerstroke will pull like crazy but it gets the same mpg as a gas truck. I am partial to Cummins. 18 mpg empty or loaded....
  4. dgram8

dgram8 LawnSite Member

They now have one with a Dodge , Ford driver ask if it has a hemi
  5. 98rammer

98rammer LawnSite Member
    from nb

ok, i'll do my best for un-biased opinions here:cool:

1. Longevity. The Cummins is the best motor in terms of longevity. PERIOD! now, the fuel system (especially of the 98-02 24valves) is highly debateable in terms of longevity, but the motor itself will last longer than any V8 diesel on the market. period. with good maintenance the powerstrokes and duramaxes will go to 200-400k miles, but i've seen many V8 diesels tired at 150k miles.

2. #'s. the #'s that are portrayed in ads and on tv- forget it. they're just #'s. the new powerstroke doesn't put out nearly the amount of power on the dyno that they say on tv. it's just a marketing war. the inline 6 will have more low end torque than a v8 diesel...there's no getting around it. the 6.0 is a fast motor stock, the fastest stock motor out there, but it revs to 3700rpms and acts like a gasser in the fact that the low end torque isn't there.

3. Transmissions. while the transmissions have much improved, they get bad reps from the older ones. the new(er) 5 speed autos from gm/allison and ford are built tough, shift great (well, technically smooth shifts are bad for a transmission, but let's not go there). however, those two transmissions are smart and suck for plowing because you have to come to a complete stop before you switch gears (i prefer to "bump" off of the pile and reverse in sync). these transmissions however, have the downgrade braking feature not available on the dodges which is a nice opntion imho. dodge's 47re has been built up to a 48re which is tougher...however it still has a sucky stock converter (wont transfer torque until locked up) and it's still a 4 speed.

---manuals. 6 speeds are fun to drive and very reliable compratively. 'nuff said. :D

4. Truck Quality and Your Needs. dodge still doesn't make a TRUE crew cab. ford does. chevy/gmc does. GM's have independant front suspension and low frame height. i'm sure you notice how the fords and dodges sit up much higher when it comes to 4wd versions. however, 8 way power lumbar seats in the chevy's are extremely comfortable.
    Quality. how is the quality of the truck you're buying? i prefer ford when it comes to quality. however, the big 3 all have their own quality issues. some trucks wont give you an ounce of problems, some trucks are lemons. Quality seems to be related to luck and your own opinion ;)

5. Fixes. all diesel engines have their problems that can usually be fixed or is just an early production problem. Have you ever heard a 7.3 liter Powerstroke make a loud knock at idle? yes, there's now a fix in which will raise your fuel mileage (often from a poor 12mpg to 18mpg), make the truck run smoother, make the truck run quieter, and give the truck the power it should have had. the new 6.0 PSD's have had problems with fuel going into the crankcase, however i don't know if a permanant fix has been found yet..?
    Dodge/Cummins diesels built before 1999 need to have the "Killer Dowell Pin" jigged or tabbed. if not, there's a possibilty that it could cause $1000-$5000 worth of damage if that pin falls out (broken front cover, broken cam shaft, etc.). the 24valve motors have lift pumps that fail constantly and can kill an injection pump without modification (extra pump) or without monitoring fuel pressure with a guage.
    GM- injection pumps often fail on the 6.5 diesels without modifications. the duramax is now a pretty reliable motor, though they had fuel problems in the beginning.

so in the end, try them all out and buy whatever makes you happy.

from a diesel perspective,
  6. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

popular mechanics had a study on full size trucks.
    From Best to worst- nissian titan,gmc sierra denali, dodge ram, chevy silverado, ford f150, toyota tundra
  7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Ford diesels. One is a 2000 powerstroke with an automatic, the other is a 1988 7.3 IDI with a 5 speed manual. The PSD is much more powerful with the turbo. The old 7.3 IDI is sluggish but it will work its butt off. Both have been trouble free so far. Mileage is O.K. not great but reliability is key. I'll be sticking with Ford.