Truck computer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dhardin53, Dec 21, 2013.

1. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

I am setting up a Toughbook laptop with a docking station in my truck. I am hoping to get a small printer to be able to print out receipt for customer on the spot.

Anyone have experience, dos and don'ts?

2. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

No, but I have brought a small portable Cannon printer to client meetings to print out proposals and change orders to get signatures. I'd think all the bouncing around on the truck will ruin your printer in no time. Plus when your truck is parked and not running the truck's climate control the ink will dry out during the summer and in the winter the ink will freeze.

Do your clients really require you to furnish a printed receipt "on the spot"? Wouldn't it be much easier to just email them a copy?

3. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

Forgot to add…

I find it much easier and faster to hand write on a preprinted blank proposal/change order than it is to sit there and open up the documents, type out all the info, save the documents and then print the documents.

If the client is paying cash and needs a paper receipt, just get a receipt book at Staples.

4. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I'll be buying one this spring. It doesn't bounce around just put it under then seat
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

Not what I meant.

Every bump in the road will be shaking all the internal moving parts of the printerÂ…the printer is not designed for this type of constant abuse.

6. GQLL

GQLL LawnSite Senior Member

I can do everything you want to do from my smart phone and email the client on the spot. I bill the same way and I keep track of our work. Having a online billing program is one of the best thing you can do.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Every manufacturer has a printer that is designed for it
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

You didn't mention you were planning on purchasing a specialty printer.

Which printer/printers are you considering purchasing?

9. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a printer in 4 trucks for multiple years now. I do pull them out in the winter because of freezing temperatures, but we don't use them that often in the winter anyways. If I'm going out to do a consultation or a proposal then I simply put it back in the truck. Most manufacturers sell an accessory 12dc plug for their printers. Same for the computer companies as well.

10. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup no issue with a printer in the truck. Even a cheap one has lasted a long time.