1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Truck Customization

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by TNT Lawn Maintenance, Jul 22, 2010.

1. TNT Lawn Maintenance

TNT Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I just bought a new truck and am looking to make sides and a back for the bed. I want to be able to connect and disconnect the sides from the back easily. I would also like to make a tool rack to hold all of my rakes, shovels, etc.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? or a website with plans?

2. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Hey man, I'm in the same boat as you. I have sideboards on my truck currently, but I need to add a headboard, tool rack, and tarp roller. Check out the link in my signature for some pics of my sideboards.

For my current setup, I used pieces of oak planed down from ABS pipe pallets. Then I screwed on 1x8 boards. This allows me to, in seconds, take off a side at a job so I don't have to unload my full grass catchers over the high side.

For the headboard, I'm going to fab something where I can use trailer pins or gate pins to unlatch the front headboard from either side so I can still take off the sides at a job. Then I also want a tool holder, tarp roller, and a load handler system on the tailgate.

3. TNT Lawn Maintenance

TNT Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I think im gonna do the same set up as you only w/ 2 x 4 sides.

I like the trailer hitch pin idea, where can i buy those? I checked at home depot and lowes and couldnt find anything that would work