1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck dealer changing his offer..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Nov 15, 2003.

1. I went to the Isuzu dealer in Cincinnati and set up what I thought was a pretty good deal.
    It was an Isuzu NPR HD. It has a 14,500# GVW and it weighs 4,700#. 175 hp diesel, automatic, air, power windows & locks and an engine block heater. (I'll put in my own radio)
    I wanted the 132" wheelbase so it would ride and maneuver about like my pickup.

PLUS Isuzu has a special till the end of the month. They'll include a stake body bed with side racks for $1,500.

Whole package, $27,550 plus tax.
    Great! Went to the bank. 5% for 6 years...good! Even found an offer for 4% for 5 years with Capital One.

So I called Miami Valley truck back and told them to order the truck. But that I wanted the 12' bed not the standard 14'.
    OOOhh....but that's not "on special". That'll cost another $1,000!

WTF! I can get the 12' bed on the 109" wheelbase, but NOT on the 132" wheelbase?
    The 12' bed will fit, it's just not part of the "special" on the longer wheelbase. But it is available on special on the shorter wheelbased truck!
    I can't use the extra overhang. It'll interfere with pulling a trailer.

I'm still steaming! Been up half the nite searching for a better deal on the net. I couldn't find nothing! I'm a computer illiterate.

What should I do? Is it a good enough deal to just pay the extra $1k?
    Buy the cab and chassis for $26,050 and have a $2k bed installed in Cincinnati? (without any side racks)
    Forget the stake bed and pay $3k for a drop side flat bed like they had at the EXPO?

I'd go to another dealer to save a thousand bucks. even as far as Georgia. But who has a good deal?

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I had a similar situation and I'll tell you what I did and maybe it will work for you too.
    Go to bank and have a check made out to dealer for $ 27,550 Go back to the dealer and ask to speak with the general sales manager. Tell him what you want to do and if he still gives you that BS about the special SHOW him the check and tell him it real easy to change the name of who it's made out to. Try it and I'll bet you a $100 you get your truck!

3. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

i agree,,,,go back and talk to him about what you want, THE CUSTOMER...... i am sure that he will be wanting your business....and if you have a set up already and dont really need the truck, let it be known that you DO NOT NEED a truck but was WANTING a truck.....it kind of makes em look at things a lil different and a lil more willing to deal.....afterall, they can bend the rules a lil bit ,especially a man having a check like you do.....
  4. I am going to lean on this salesman some. He's been more than a disappointment.

When I told him I wanted the 12' bed he was going to just quietly drop the wheelbase to 109" and order it. Lucky for me I just happened to remember the $238 "savings" for the shorter bed was actually the price difference for the shorter wheelbased truck.
    I'd have been seven ways of screwed if he't sent that PO to my bank and gotten paid.
    I'd have been stuck with that short POS that rides like a mechanical bull and STILL had too much overhang to pull a trailer.

Then he was going to include a $800 gooseneck hitch and a $500 receiver hitch! Ri-i-i-i-ght! $1,300 for $50 worth of steel!
    Told him I'd build my own hitch. His was prolly only rated for 6,000# anyway.

What a jerk! He's either dumb as a stump...or he thinks that I am.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Nope he's smart as a fox! you just cought him, but think of all that don't catch that BS they can afford to give ten of those trucks away free with the $$ they ripped off.

6. PKB005

PKB005 LawnSite Member

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No dump or dump-Stake?

I'd get the cab and chassis that you want, take it to a body company, and get what YOU want body wise.

There are different formula's for figuring what body fits what. Its not just wheel base, but Cab to axle, and other variables. That rear overhang is probably there for a reason. Have you ever SEEN one setup like you want?

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

120" CA

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Good example of the OVERHANG that you DON'T want, huh! :eek:

Looks like a wheelie mobile!

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Your salesman/dealer/Isuzu, probably has an overstock on certain models and want to unload them first, but that doesn't mean they won't deal when you give them the impression you're not going to buy at all.

I know there are a LOT of these trucks out on the road, at these prices I'm not surprised. Some of you guys have one now, but for those that don't, ought to ride in one for a couple of days or so.

Which is what I did last week, many short trips in town. Beat me to death, back was out of whack afterward. Just thought I'd ask.