truck for mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassyfras, May 29, 2001.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Would a toyota 4 cylener pickup manual stick shift, its a small bed, be able to hold a commercial 36" mower a couple trimmers and a BP blower. How would i be able to get the mower inside the truck would this be safe? IS this a good idea at all or should i jsut get a bigger truck or a trailer with this truck or a bigger truck with a trailer:blob3:

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Get a little trailer, it would be a lot more practical. Stay small on it though, I went through three engines in my 85 Toyota towing a 14' trailer.

3. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you need your pickup bed for hauling all your debris .your trailer is for your equiptment .if i was you i would get the truck and trailer first b4 you have a mower with no place to put it .all i can say last year i was cramming 22inch a trimmer a blower and a garbage can in the back of my truck it sucks .now i have a 11 foot trailer and im growing out of this one already so you definately need all the room you can get.goodluck

4. Scott H

Scott H LawnSite Member

You can probably do it using 2X12X12 ramps, but I would get a trailer if you have the money. I have a 6'X12' trailer and it is filled with just equipment. However, last year when I first started I use to carry two 36" mowers in the back of a 79 F-150.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Definately get a trailer. You will regret not having one as soon as you have to haul some debris or a trashcan or two.
    I got a 5'x10' thinking it would be plenty big. Now I wish I had at least gotten the 6'x12'. And I only have the same equipment that you described!
    I don't have a pick up. I'm using a full size Bronco. I REALLY need a pick up!
    First clean up I did this year, I barley had room for the tarp full of leaves.
    Not sure about the towing limits on that truck you mentioned though. You might want to stay with a small trailer for now.

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would reccomend a trailer too, you can do it with ramps for the truck, but it wont be long before you outgrow that. I started that way, and had to spend money sooner than i hoped getting a bigger truck and a trailer.

7. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

I would also reccomend going with a trailer its alot easier at the end of the day to just unhook than it is to uload before you can con anywhere sush as out on the town

8. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

get a trailer, you need the bed of the truck for grass clippings in the spring, branches that came down, and the gas cans if you don't have a place for them on the trailer. and the beds get filled up real quick if you have to bag the whole route you plan for the day, just imagine trying to get your mower out of the bed of your truck with it buried in grass or putting in the bed with half a truck load of grass, it isn't gunna happen.

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Trailer. Time is money and dealing with the truck bed is wasting time. Not to mention most potential customers might not take you as seriously.