1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck for pulling equip.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by georgel, Sep 22, 2001.

1. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting a truck to haul around a skid steer. I had been thinking about a 3/4 ton but, it seems that I would be on the edge so now I am looking for a 1 ton. The Skid steer will be a 763/773 size (still for the right deal and brands are not the big factor) Will a 1 ton do the job well? What kind of beds do you use? I thought about a dump bed since this will be my only truck (I plan to rent the big dumpers when needed or have them deliver)

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

If you can swing it , go for the 1 ton dump. We will occasionally pull with a 3/4 ton and I can tell you ...it is killing the truck.
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Here's my 2 cents: (You asked! ;) )

A 3/4 ton will pull it without a problem....but.....stopping is another story. You'll need excelent brakes on the trailer if you go that route. Besides the stopping problem, your slamming a lot of weight around on that pintle hook back and forth at starts and stops which is jerking your whole truck and probobly takes a good toll on your frame and drivetrain. But, even though I don't advise of it,....... yes it can be done with a 3/4 ton! (That rhymes.....maybe I'm a rapper at heart?? :) )

Now, you step up to a nice F-350 SuperDuty with a mason dump with folding sides, and your talking "Super Landscaper" !!

Seriously, thats a great setup if you won't be doing a ton of hauling material. Its very versitile (the dump bed) ESPECIALLY if you can get one that the sides will fold down. You won't even imagine the uses you'll find for it once you have it. The 1 ton will handle the hauling of the equipment much better all around also.

Now, one more thing to consider...the trailer. Don't slack in this depatment if you don't have to. Like I said earlier, make sure you consider a good braking system, and also check out where the axle is setup on the trailer. I've seen a lot of trailers built funny where the toungue actually takes a lot more of the wieght of the load than it should be (in my opinion.) You want to try to set your load as evenly over your axles as you can. I see a lot of guys for some reason cram a skidsteer to the front of the trailer, well that just makes more work for the truck instead of using the trailer to do its job.

Next thing is tilt or ramps. I would reccomend a 4 to 6 ton tilt trailer. Some people prefer a trailer with a beaver tail and / or ramps, but I don't see the pro's of them at all (for equipment hauling use) I'm not saying there isn't any, its just that no one has ever argued it with me. Tilt trailer is nice, especially where the tail is steel all the way accross and not just two planks int he wheel/track path. Its also good if you ever have to load any 3 wheeled equipment (i.e, small forklift) where it would be a P.I.T.A. to load it with ramps.

And don't forget to good chains and 2 good ratchet binders!!

Good Luck, and please let us know what you decide.

If you have any more questions I haven't answered please tell me and I'll try to get to them later. (I'm out of breath right now! :) )

Sorry about the long post, its usually not my style but I've had LS withdrawl because of all the stuff going on over here. Thanks for the opportunity to run my big mouth for a while!

Hope this helps!
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We have stopped using one tons, I feel they are too light duty, 3/4 tons are way too light. Our ideal truck now is a Ford F-550 with a 11' dump bed. Wheelbase is long enough to pull a trailer well plus those beefy 4 wheel disc brakes make a differance. We have a 97 Ford Superduty with a 10' dump bed if you load it up and the trailer you'll be over weight on the rear axle. Even empty it has a hard time pulling the LS190 with the stuff listed below.

Trailers are important, but I'm going to be different than Guido. I like ramp trailers for skid steers! Reasons....... not many other than all the different buckets and attachments that you bring along with you.

A normal trailer of stuff for us is.
    NH 170 or 190
    Spade bucket
    Add on the teeth and tracks
    You have a full load
    Try to run up the tilt bed with just the bucket on and all that stuff still on the trailer, bet the trailer won't tilt!
    Give me a heavy ramp any day and twice on those wet muddy days you have to load everything up.
    Trailer size don't think a 4 ton trailer will work minimum size should be 12-13K GVW, make sure it has E rated tires! A 10K lb jackstand is a must too. Some you see now days are rated at 3-4K lbs way too light unless your not putting anything on the trailer. Trailer bed should be at least 16' long, I like the 18' long bed, more room to put stuff:) trailer width, try for 84" it makes it easier to get bigger stuff on. Sealed lights or better yet the new LED lights, you never need to replace them. We use a 14.4K lb trailer for our LS190 it's really the smallest you should use for that machine, our LS170's can go on a 13K lb trailer ok with all the stuff listed. If your trailer manufacture has the option get the fork pockets on the side of the trailer it a neat option.

We use the Powerstroke motors in all our trucks.
  5. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

My brother in law is a Mason and owns a 94 1 ton Chevy dump with a gas engine and 2 wheel drive. He pulls a John Deere skid steer that's beating the crap out of his truck. Of course when he's going to a job he's either loaded with brick or stone dust. He's looking at the F550 w/Powerstroke and 4whl drive, $38-40,000.... whew!
  6. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I would have to agree with Paul on the trailer. If all your going to do is hauling a skidsteer and your going to be doing it regularly then a tilt would be nice. However, It seems like I rarely haul just one piece of equipment. It seems like I almost always have a tractor/disk/boxblade, mini-x/skidsteer, or a tractor/bushhog/ZTR.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Most of the contractors around here run an import cab over Dumps in the 14,500-17,900 GVWR range,usually have 6 ton trailers.If they have bigger equipment,they usually use 9ton triple axle trailers,but pull those with bigger cab overs,or F750/Topkicks.There is a guy who regularly pulls a Case 580 4x4 ex hoe on a 9 ton triple axle with an F550 4x4 11ft Dump truck.He is working right across from our golf course now,Ive seen him tow it in twice already.I know its not rated for that heavy a load,but it shows what they can do-for a little while anyway.
  8. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input. I am in 'getting started' mode and I am not real excited about getting into lots of debt, the F550 is not an option for me right now(Although I would love to get one). I guess I am asking since this is a budget issue, can I get by with a 1 ton and if so, what enhancements should look for? HD brakes, dump bed, ect..

Thanks again
  9. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Thats why I advised on the stuff I did. Of course it would be nice to have a 550 or 650 and a larger trailer, but I figured you weren't going to spring for it at the moment.

Paul - The 773 even with an attachment is only 3 tons, no??

About the ramp vs. tilt trailer: I understand the ramps are a must if your hauling many attatchments and ESPECIALLY when hauling two machines (i.e. skid steer and mini-x). I figured they were looking for the minimum size to do the job of hauling one skidsteer.

Same with the truck, they said it would be their only truck, and figured they were going with something smaller. Does Ford still make the F450 (the old "real" superduty's) ?? If so that may be an option. A larger truck might still be an option for you if you are going used.

Whatever you decide with I would DEFINETLY go with a dump like I said before. Its more than worth the extra money.

A 1 ton will do the job for now, but if that is its sole purpose is hauling a lot of equipment around, it will probobly burn out quick.

Good Luck!
  10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Dave, add the trailer weight into the mix too! Having good HD tires strong frame, HD oak deck, chain box, your going to run 3000lbs-3500 Lbs just for the trailer.

5500 lbs 773
    3500 lbs trailer
    1500 lbs Preperator
    400 lbs forks
    900 lbs spade bucket
    11,800 total

Now you have what I call Murphy's Factor if there is a weak point some where in the rig My guys will find it.

If I buy heavier I know it will last!

Georgel, yes a one ton dump is the smallest I would think about, but check out a F-550, see how much more the cost will be and factor in the life span of the heavier truck. If you get 6 years out of a one ton dump Vs 10 years out of a F-550 will you be money ahead?

As far as going more HD on the one ton you can't, it's not like buying a "real" truck where you spec everything, from frame- axles-braking system-tires-motor the big three gives you a few choices just add all the cooling and hd stuff they offer. for a 2 WD look to spend $25K-$32K. Our last F-550 cost us $37K