Truck Frame rust

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by SECTLANDSCAPING, Dec 14, 2012.

1. SECTLANDSCAPING

SECTLANDSCAPING LawnSite Member

I was wondering what works for frame rust. I see all kind of sprays but that seems like a touch up and more preventive.

Would the best way to remove rust be a wire brush, belt sander, or sandblast?

I would think any kind of metal grinder would take more then rust off and could cause problems.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

3. rander

rander LawnSite Member

Restrorob is correct. POR-15 is about the best you can get to stop rusting. I put it on the battery holder on an old Ford tractor and an 85 F150., In the 4 years after that I never saw a spot of rust where it had been applied. You have to follow the directions closely to get good results but, I think, it's worth it

4. SECTLANDSCAPING

I heard about por but I thought I still had to prep the frame.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Application instructions; http://www.por15.com/Data Sheets/POR15ApplicationInfo.pdf

If you have loose/flaking rust clean with a scraper/putty knife, It adheres to a rougher surface better than a smooth surface. Yes, It's a bit expensive but is not considered a patch job and last many years......

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

7. SECTLANDSCAPING

Its not expensive when considering the amount of labor that it would take to fix it with tools.