Truck fuel preference? (Gas v Diesel)

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by rosolar, Nov 29, 2004.

1. rosolar

rosolar LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I'm looking into getting a new truck. With the current gas prices as high as they are do people suggest gas or diesel? At what point does the extra price of a diesel engine become a financial benefit? For general landscaping and plowing, do people suggest diesel or gas fuel? (I've never owned a diesel truck before).

thanks

2. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

The Chevy dealer told me that a gas engine would be better because
    they start easier in the cold for plowing, they cost less to maintain but they need maintaining more often. The fuel prices lower higher right now, but they get worse fuel mileage. Diesels can be slower than gas trucks, but they can tow more easier. If you are going to be towing a skid loader or something else heavy than I would get a diesel, but if not I would get a gas engine.

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

They said also the only way a diesel would be worth the extra money is if you keep the truck for more than 5 years min

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Myself I don't know if its worth having a diesel P/U anymore the price of diesel keeps climbing and the newer diesels have so much electronic bull **** on them now a person can't repair them. The newer diesel trucks are not getting the MPG like the older diesels with lower power.

I currently own a 89 F-450 with a 7.3 IDI its slower than you wouldn't beleive it does get slightly better fuel mileage over my previous F-450 with 460 power. When the old IDI dies the truck will be junked to replace the IDI costs 6000 grand minimum.

In this area a diesel truck or any truck with more than 300,000kms (186,400mi) its on its last legs be prepared to do repairs on a regular basis to keep it running.

Lets face it 5 years is the max you would want to keep a new truck after 5 years its going to cost you money. Many of the contractors I know lease or own their diesel trucks for 4-5 years and buy a new one.

I need a newer F-450 and I'am wondering about going back to gas I would save about 2 grand in the purchase price. I also will find a lower kilometerage truck with gas power.

People say the diesel will last longer when towing but there is no difference in truck wear pulling with a gas pot. Who cares if the diesel will go 300,000 miles if you keep dumping money into the driveline because its worn out and tired.

Too sum it up its your choice to spend the extra 5 grand for the diesel when you buy a new truck or if you buy a used truck you take the chance that the diesel won't blow up and cost you a fortune to repair. If the price of diesel fuel drops back down below gas again it maybe worth owning a diesel P/U again.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the diesel!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't have to worry about the new ones starting in the winter. Well I know FORD you don't. Pulling a trailer or doing some heavy work you will save a lot of money. :)

6. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plug them in, thus driving you electric bill up.

I am more of a gas burner man.

7. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

I have an 03 Dodge (Cummins).

No problem starting the new diesel trucks in cold weather...

I also can get 24 mpg (empty) on the highway. Can't beat that.

8. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't own any more gassers. After converting the whole fleet over, we litterally cut our fuel consumption in half. And, there is virtually no maintenance. The Fords start alot harder than the Duramax engines but consider it never gets below 40° here. In the situation of a one truck operation, you may never be able to pencil out the added cost of a diesel vs the fuel consumption ratios. If you are looking for brute power, ability to pull loads over grades, it would take alot more engine than is available in most trucks than is available in a gas rig to out work a diesel. When we ran gassers, the same trailers pulling the 6.5° grades would bog down to 40MP and be dying by the time we hit the summit. With diesel, no matter weather it is a powerstroke or a duramax, half way up running 55 mph we can floor the trucks and hit 75-80 by the time we clear the summit.

Now, in terms of repair time...Where a gasser will nickel and dime you, a diesel will $500 and $1,000.00 you. But that is after a few hundred thousand miles.

Hope this helps!

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

10 degrees below zero. The mighty Cummins fires right up without being plugged in. 22-24MPG. 130,000 miles. Zero maint. issues. I'll never go back to a gasser.

10. Tulsa Lawn Guy

Tulsa Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

Mike,

I'm getting ready to take my truck to Colorado this weekend and where I'm staying the temp drops to a few degrees below zero. I won't have any way to plug the truck in, so is there anything else I need to do? Like fuel additive?