Truck help please!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tamo, Sep 26, 2006.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I just started up in business this past spring and had a great summer, now I need to upgrade from a Pathfinder and finally get a real truck.

I've been looking at Tacoma's and can buy a '98 Prerunner 4 cylinder tomorrow for $5500 that I like a lot, but I'm worried I would be better off with a standard 2wd 4 cylinder Tacoma because of gas mileage. Would I get any hauling/towing advantage with the PreRunner? I'm doing standard maintenance along with mulching and gravel(yeah its a pain with an SUV), but am looking to expand. Any advice, I gotta make a decision by early Tuesday.

2. Lovbcstiller

Lovbcstiller LawnSite Member

I would not get it. I would get a atleast a 3/4 ton pick up. Most places that rent equiptment to you would like that. Any trailer you tow with that Tacoma you will out grow fast. That vehicle is too light to tow any thing longer than a 5x8 trailer safely. You will go throw brake jobs fast if you get anything longer that 8 foot. Most imports can not handle the weight and the jerking of the trailer. My advice is go buy a full size pick up.

3. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

would a v6 taco get the job done?

also would I get any advantage from a 4x4?

thanks again, much appreciated

4. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

Nissan Titan. Way too much money though!

5. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

I started with a Ford Ranger, realized that was too small, then I bought a 1/2 ton chevy witha a 350 v-8 and after 2 years I realzed that was too small, then I bought a 1-ton chevy last year, now I am looking to buy a cabover class 4-5.

My advice is start big, because you will want a bigger vehicle as soon as you get a small one.

:usflag:

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on what job you want to do. If you tow a smaller trailer less than 3K or so and only carry very light loads in the back it will do fine. If you ever need to haul materials or move any kind of equipment you won't have enough truck. As far as 4x4, the only advantage is for plowing, driving in snow, and areas with poor traction. If you just have a mowing route with no trips off pavement, there is no advantage to a 4x4. BTW, you are aware that a Prerunner is actually 2WD, right?

7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I would be real hesitate to buy a 4 cyl. to do any serious towing. I use a V8 Tundra and while it does a decent job I still would not want to tow much more than what Im towing now. A full size truck is the best bet. My Tundra is rated at 6850 and I dont think it will even come close to towing that much. I tried a taco before buying the Tundra and towing my equipment was dangerous and scary! Would barley go over 30mph without running hot.

8. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of equipment would you be hauling/towing.?????? I have a 97 tacoma 4x4 v6 its lifted up with 33" tires and pulling a trailer with my 455 its really underpowered, but that thing weighs a ton, it does good with a 54" Walk behind in it, the only thing i dont like about the truck is the brakes are non exsistent when towing, you gotta be really careful

9. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That 4 cyl tacoma is just best at running errands, sending auto parts or very light hauling within 1500#. Toyota is known for reliability and dependabilty but not for heavy and long towing, especially mulch and gravel. Estimate truck or errands truck, yes, not long term hauling. Everybody wants Toyota which make their price untouchable now even older trucks.
    I would get full size F-150, from'87-'03, they are a lot cheaper to repair and way easier to get parts, every junk yard has something for any of Ford but not the Toy. Also, if you really like 4 banger, how about Ranger 2.3? It is pretty much bullet proof on Ford 2.3L, 5 spd, several hundred of thousand of them logging in easily over 150-250k mileage, besides, way cheaper than Tacoma!

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What we're telling you is you need a 3/4 ton truck, and much like many of my customers do to me, you're not listening.

It's like this:
    Lets say we want to boil an egg.
    Here is what we need (what we're telling you):
    - The egg.
    - Water.
    - A steel container (such as a pan).
    - A source of intense heat (such as fire, or a stove).

That is what you need to boil an egg...

Now what if I just have the egg and the water?
    The simple answer is you can not boil an egg if that is all you have.

Now what if I just have the egg, the steel container, and fire?
    The simple answer is you can not boil an egg if that is all you have.

And, the simple answer is unless you get a 3/4 ton truck, you can not tow decently and you will regret your choice.