1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck insurance question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by kc2006, May 2, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I searched but couldn't find the exact answer to my question so here it is.

I have part time commercial insurance on my truck (i guess you could call it), because I mainly use it for personal use but it is my work truck also. They asked how many miles a year i put on it, I said 10-12,000 then they asked how many miles a week will be business miles. I'm still expanding so I said up to 200 miles a week but it will most likely be less (really only be under 100) but I wanted to play it safe. So my question is since I have commercial plates and lettering on the doors what if I was in an accident while using the truck for personal use, could someone try to say oh well he has signs on his truck he's commercial just to get money even though I'm just doing personal stuff? I forgot to ask about this when i had talked to the rep, but if you figure out 200 miles a week, thats 10,400 for 52 weeks so its almost like I'm coverd all the time. Just wanted to see if someone could help so I don't have to call again and explain the situation to them (national company so i probably wouldn't be talking to the same person). I was suprised, insurance went up 25 dollars for 6 months only, I thought for sure they'd stick it to me.
  2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

this is the only reason i like the removable signs, magnetic.... hey its a business must sue the pants off them.. :angry:
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a pair of magnetic signs, just would have to put the vinyl on them, i just don't want them falling off and wasting 40 bucks of vinyl if they get messed up. I'll have to call today.
  4. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

One bad thing about the magnetic signs is that if you are constantly taking them on and off they will leave little scratches in the paint from dirt getting on the truck...you can clean the area every time you want to put them back on, but that just become a pain
  5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You better check again about signs/lettering on your door. The business insurance I have says if I add signs/lettering to the vehicle then it is considered full-time and then insurance gets really expensive. You may not be covered if you get in an accident with the signs on the truck and only have part-time insurance.