1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck interior- Need more room!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 22, 2005.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I have a '89 F350 standard cab w/bench seat. I would like more interior room. Usually it is only me and one other guy, so I thought of putting in bucket seats, but sometimes on a large mulch job or leaf cleanups, we use a 3rd person, so bucket seats are a bit out of the question. This last year we did OK with the above setup, had a cooler that sat between the dash and the seat, then kept my work binder on the seat (has all necessary stuff in it). That worked ok.

But, this season I plan to get alot more organized and professional. I am taking the laptop with me in the truck and probably will build a pedestal mount. that will wipe out the cooler space. The cooler will find a place on the trailer or likely in the truck bed somehow. We'll just get out what we want before we leave a job, then put back drinks at the next job. I also want to take a printer with me, for the laptop of course. And, still will need my work binder to store papers of all kinds. that won't all fit in the seat, and it would be very cluttered if it would anyway. I might be able to make the printer go on the floor somehow under the laptop. Not sure. If so, then we may be ok.

Anyone else have problems not having enough room in your interior, and if so, what did you do to solve those problems? It would be ok if I did not need room for the helper or if I had an extended cab. Oh, it gets worse in fall when it gets cool out we need room to throw our coats/jackets when we're not wearing them :help:

Thanks for reading my whining. Any ideas?
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a truck thats an extended or crew cab.
  3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Money is too tight right now, and this year I have every penny planned out for other things (saving for my first house, pay-off mower, etc.) no money left in the budget for a truck unfortunately :( I wanted one super bad, but this one works hard and does the job fine, doesn't look too bad, and is reliable and should last many more years, so I can't justify trading it off. Also I love the flatbed... If I could sell this one and get a extended cab for the same money or only a little more, i'd be interested but I don't know if I can. Sometimes I'm tired of driving used trucks and think its better to just save and buy a new one someday...
    I'm being such a whiner today. it is directly related to the flu I just got... i feel so cruddy today....
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

extended cab with bench seat. Fits six (legally) in a bind. Rear bench folds so I could take three and lots of storage in the back.
  5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you thought about a truckbox or a shell? I also think taking a computer in a truck is overboard. why would you need that?
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

BHB--you have plenty of room in your truck. you are pushing the envelope on what you need to have with you to work.

if you persist I suggest you have the helper ride in the bed of the truck.

GEO :waving:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u dont need all that **** in the cab with u
    u will kill the laptop with dust and dirt and the printer will crap out faster than bobby when he runs out of coors light :)
    save your money for the house and go get some nyquil :help:
  8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

PackerBacker, sorry they don't make toppers for trucks with 7.5'x12' flatbeds. Still can't put a worker in a truck box or bed w/topper.

Well I have tried it both ways, its better with the laptop for my operation and the way I do things. It can be done without the laptop fine, but I want to keep track of much more info than you can put down and keep organized on paper....
  9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I got an extended cab when I got my new truck. Now I've got a mini backseat, and all the junk I used to pile in the passenger seat goes back there to pile up. I find the more room I have, the more pile I get.

10. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont mean to badger but have you thought about a new system of keeping info organized so you dont have to take a laptop?

The only reason i ask is obviously you have ruled out buying a different truck, they dont make shells to store your stuff in. I really dont know how else to make a truck bigger...