1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck Leaf Loader?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steeley, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I got a price on a truck leaf loader today from my dealer it is a 25hp Kohler Salsco brand on a trailer for $4500 how hard are they to back up with a one ton dually with leaf box on? Seems to me that it would be almost impossible but I figured that someone would know on the web site.

I also asked how mush a skid mounted one would cost and they told me $7300 that did not make much sense to me. ;)
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

IMHO, smaller trailers, especially those w/ single axles are more difficult to back up than say a long (>20') trailer w/ dual axles. The single axle seems extremely sensitive to steering wheel movements when backing up.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Assuming when it is hooked up you can't see it in the mirrors, right? you really shouldn't back those up without someone guiding you. Some tree services around me attach sticks, painted orange, to the fenders of the chippers so that the driver can see where it is when backing. Seems like a good idea.
  4. scagster

scagster LawnSite Member
    from n.ohio

my dad drove semis for 40 years, he always told me the longer the trailer the easier to back up
  5. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

That thing is going to be a PITA to back up if it's the short wheelbase type loader. You wont be able to see it with the box on the back of the truck. I have found that using two flexible florescent snow stakes mounted horizontally on the fenders will make it much easier to locate when backing. All you have to do is watch the stakes. Usually by the time you see the loader in your mirror it is turned too far to straighten out. BTW the slightest turn of the steering wheel makes the short trailers turn extremely fast.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

How hard would it be to build a rack for this unit with a hitch on it. Simply slide the hitch into the reciever and go. Might take a couple guys to put on and take off, but that would be about it. I think it would be ok and easy.

Here is mine. I mounted mine on the front so I could still pull my trailer, but you would not have to do that. Mine is much smaller also, only a 16hp, but I wouldn't think that would make much difference.

My leaf-vac mounted (2).jpg
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Here it is a little closer.

My leaf-vac mounted (3).jpg