Truck Lettering & Accidents

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by olderthandirt, Nov 15, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Has any one experienced people purposely trying to get into fender benders with a truck thats commercially lettered ? I hate having to drive the trucks into a major city, its like were a target for a lawsuit. Most people know we carry commercial insurance and in a higher amount than the average driver so its let see if we can get hit and collect some easy money. Just one of the draw backs to having a truck lettered, Not sure if the benefits out way the risk anymore.

2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

no, but i have thought about it happening.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was just thinking about this the other day. It wasn't with the truck though, it was with the car when we were down at Detroit. It seemed like this one car kept on passing me, getting in front me, and then slamming on his brakes trying to get me to rear end him

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately, yes, I have had this happen to me. I got hit, sited and sued. My ins co. told me businesses are targets. He said some people see you are a business and see easy money. I'ts really sad but true.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Something minor happened to us a few years ago, a young girl claimed my men had hit her car while they were making a turn. She had a witness, she said, who had left the scene when I got there. My driver insisted he hadn't hit her, (long time employee with perfect record). I ended up giving her $200 to have the car repaired, looking back, I got scammed. Never again.
    As far as businesses being a target, I would say absolutely. I'm involved in something now, an accident that one of my employees was in, on his way to work, in his own vehicle. My attorney said "You are the "deep pocket".

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

all the time here. lady was just killed last week by my moms house cause she cut off a commercial truck. i get about 3 a day try someting with me. thats why i got such a big new truck and heavy brush guard. now i can just floor it and kill them. even without lettering, if youre pulling a trailer or have tools, etc on truck, theyll try it. i put a push bar on chevy dsl last summer cause of this, too. i almost killed a drunk driver last year. he jumped a 5' deep ditch and came inches from 3' diameter steel power pole at 65mph. i bet i'll kill at least 3 by spring. the # of scammers have dropped a bit since switching to the 7' tall truck. i guess theyve heard what happens to little cars underneath semis. :realmad:

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mac, back in the late 70s or early 80s SteelCase stopped running major east coast cities because their trucks became targets, far as I know its still that way. Big rigs are big targets for insurance fraud, Insurance companies helped bring this about by settling out of court on so many for so many years.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

You gotta be real careful when you do your own settlement. If you read your policy, you probably violated provisions of your Insurance policy. Whats to stop that girl from coming back a year from now and raising a fuss again.

The scammers are getting smarter and smarter...

You pay for the insurance, let them do the work and let them investigate for you.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, but it is the reason MY insurance co insists I NEVER put signs on it, said it saves me considerable money (they won't even insure me if I put them on).

Other than that, I prefer 6-8 seconds following distance... The best place to be is away from everyone else.

10. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

Probably the fact that she only has a year to file a lawsuit and then she has nothing to go on.