Truck lettering the old fashion way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never been a fan of vinyl lettering or magnets on the doors. And if any of you have ever sold a truck you did that too and then had to remove it all to get her ready to sell you know exactly what I am talking about with the discolored paint and glue residue.

And so for my new trucks I wanted something that was useful and classy and I settled on carved lettering in solid cypress. I hope you like them I know I sure do. I considered stained wood but with all the chrome we felt silver on black worked best and I got these yesterday after waiting a month or so. Now I got to wait till May 20th and I get to see the second set of these on my 2012 ram 4500 which is the delivery date they are shooting for now. These are 2" by 7.5" by 104.75" long each.

P4290095.JPGCropped.jpg

P4290096.jpg Smaller.jpg

P4290097.jpgSmaller.jpg

P4290098.jpgSmaller.jpg

2. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

that's nice.... only thing I maybe would have done different is went 2 boards high and used your full logo and had the phone # bigger

3. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

They look great. What did it cost to have them etched in the wood like that? Did you paint the letter in?

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Looks great. My goal is too add a 4500 or 5500 dump for spring 2013'.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

The man that carved them painted them as well cost just under 400 a side or I could of spent about 100 more a side and used silver leaf. But that can tarnish so the silver paint worked instead.

6. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice, but my side boards only make it 2 years. So it would be too expensive for me.

7. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Looks nice bud
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

IMO that looks far nicer than being all over the side of the truck's doors. Very well done, though I agree about going two boards high for the dump bed. More capacity capability and larger numbers/letters.

Are you going to try to seal the wood with anything so that the paint doesn't get chipped/scratched/gouged easily when throwing debris into the back? It seems like it'd be kinda tedious to protect the letters individually to repaint the wood black (and not get any into the letter recesses) so that you can keep the wood looking as good as the rest of the truck.

9. Tizzy

Tizzy LawnSite Senior Member

thats really nice. but IMO too expensive for something that i can see getting damaged easy.

10. johnwright238

johnwright238 LawnSite Member

That is the most original ad I have seen so far and as an advertiser myself (as we all are) I notice ads more than consumers.:clapping: