Truck lettering the old fashion way

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kelly's Landscaping, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I keep the sides lower since I use the trucks for mowing 3-4 days a week and its a lot easier to back 20-25 feet of trailer up if needed when you can see. But I put her to work doing a seeding job today with 12 yards of soil I did in 4 trips. I decided to do this because I wanted something more lasting then say post cards or new paper ads. I still did the paper this year as we try to finally build a web site and felt this would be a good way to at least have some presents even when we were not spending more on advertizing after the spring rush ends. My old gmc has high sides so when I want to move brush or a lot of mulch I do have a way to do it.

2. BJWLAWNCARE

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

It does look great now no doubt. I have a regular box on my 250 it sits a little higher because of the off road package but after close to ten years its a mess. The guys and myself havecome up short with the steel grass catchers, etc. Hope the first gauge you do yourself and get over it quick because it will happen to a work truck. GL with the new truck.

3. Kelly's Landscaping

It's a dodge and like the ford the beds 4 ft before the sides are on now at nearly 2 feet more and we never go over the sides its always loaded from behind. So that at-least won't be an issue I'm more concerned the new skid loader driver they have at the yard we use will clip it.

4. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

could you make a ramp for the skid steer? There's a company around here that's fab'd up a 3' wedge ramp from 6x6 and 2x6 top to accommodate trucks with higher side boards.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

I like it!!

6. wegomow

wegomow LawnSite Senior Member

Looks great! Original and tastefully done.

7. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

I know this thread is a little old but your trucks are so nice man! Like there almost too nice for a work truck. But I get what your about and I agree with you 100%

8. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

I was planning on doing that on my truck this Spring.

-Michael

9. Kelly's Landscaping

They held up really good no damage what so ever to any of the sign faces. The back sides of course got some scratches its unavoidable in the inside of a dump truck. But all together I got just a few corner nicks to touch up next spring. And the signs increased my payloads from 5 to 7 yards of mulch. On topsoil its a mute issue 3-4 yards weights about 7000 pounds which is my limit on those trucks so I never get to test the sides on that. I expect to get 8-10 years out of them with perhaps one restoration at the half way point. But I sure felt a lot better putting my money into carved signs than some more postcards that would be forgotten and tossed away inside a few weeks.

10. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Looks good and classy but, I don't think it will get you as noticed, as a colorful sign on the truck itself. not enough bang for your buck.

It's a pretty truck. It looks like your trying to keep as a personal truck. You know, crome wheels, crome step bar, problably all the bells and whistles. Not the extrsa I would be willing to pay for a work truck.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013