truck lettering

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by scagwildcat, Nov 15, 2005.

1. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

today,while on this great site, i noticed that a few people wrote threads about truck lettering, that got me thinking about mine, for the past few years people where telling me to letter my truck, they said that you would never believe on haw many phone calls i would get just from people seeing my truck in town, i havent had one person call me and tell me that they got my number from my truck, i even took my ad out of the local paper to see if the phone would ring, and it didnt!!!! i wish i didnt listen to my friends, i would have saved myself $500.00 this summer..............
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

it takes time for name recognition to set in.
  3. Sin City Lawn Care

Sin City Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Ok lets took out an ad and spent 500 bucks! Its a tax right off anyways.. so who cares? you do pay taxes on your business income, right?

and no one called. So thats what you should do, just give up on all advertising. I am sure you have enough business coming in that you do not need anymore, right?

The lettering of the truck would have been a better investment of your advertising dollar.

Not everyone gets the newspaper, and of those that do not all read the section that the ads are in unless they are looking for that type of service.

BUT everyone has to get in there car and drive down the street and sit behind or next to you at the red light or when the neighbor walks out of their house and is able to associate you with the name of the company.

how many people do you drive buy everyday?
    how many drive buy you?
    where do you go for lunch?
    Where do you park your truck at night?

Think of all the people that would be EXPOSED to YOUR company!

remeber thats all advertising is, Customers being EXPOSED to your product or service.

It always amazes me on how many people own or operate a business and they have never even thought of taking any type of business courses.

Nothing personal....Listen to your friends
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

even if you didn't get any calls its called "Branding"

Don't worry, that truck ad will pay off eventually
  5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

Oh, one more thing. To increase my truck/trailer visibility I leave my parking lights on all day! (assuming I'm not at one job all day). When I'm at lunch people come up to me at least 3x a week and say "excuse me, you left your lights on" and I say "oh, thank you very much for letting me know" They then remember the truck and the name :)
  6. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

sin city, not to start anything, but yes i do pay taxes, and yes i know its a tax write off , but if you think about it, as you should know seeing that you took a business course,you need to make money inorder to spend it!!! so spending money on the truck letters with no return (yet) was a waste of the 500 seeing that the local paper produces atleast two,three maybe four calls a day in my area..... i think what it really does for you ,is it gives you good image......
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it was only the first season with lettering right? Give it time, I know I've thrown $500 away on a helluva a lot more foolish stuff than truck lettering. The lettering IMO isn't foolish anyway, its an investment and as such sometimes an investment may take a little time to pay off.
  8. scagwildcat

from nw. ct.

your right , i realize that it does take time, i was just thinking that the truck has been lettered since this spring, and im in town everyday of the week, wouldnt you think some one would call ,and say that they saw my name and number on the truck, i make it a point to ask, just to see what form of advertising work best....i guess time will tell, as far as being a waste of my money, i think that its not because it seperates me from joe lawn boy....well, i guess joe lawn boy wouldnt have 55k ivested in his truck and 30k on what he tows around on his trailer everyday
  9. dsmrolla06

dsmrolla06 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a rather interesting idea... Have you ever had someone call you and say "ya i remember you were the guy that left your lights on" and got business from that?

People have to be exposed to something 7 times before they even remember it. Having lettering on your truck is just one more of those 7...
  10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Lettered my truck and my wife's JEEP. Have not gotten any work from the lettering, but my name and # are everywhere I go, and I like that. It puts you name out there for all to see. It is very cheap advertising.