truck letters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jun 30, 2001.

1. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

The paint would blister and the magnets actually "stuck" to the doors like some sort of adhesive was holding it on.

2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

PrimeGreen Lawn:

WOW!!! It sounds like maybe there are different kinds of magetic backing material and some possibly have some sort of 'chemical reaction' with paint. Mine are not "sticky" at all. They grip REAL tight but once you grab up a corner you can just roll that sucker right off. They have already seen a full years worth of temperature variences and lots of direct sunlight.

If mine became gooey and blistered the paint I would want to avoid them too! Now you have got me scared to get the old truck re-painted! :eek:

I guess with magnet signs it's the "luck of the draw".

Thanks for the info! :)

3. shorelinelawn

shorelinelawn LawnSite Member

I have a cap on my pu/p truck. Had the windows lettered professionally. Cost me 100 $, and looks great , and no paint fade either. I know most of you don't have caps on their trucks, but it is another option !
    If you don't want to letter the truck, what about the trailer ???

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a buddy who had magnets, and the paint beneath them peeled completely off. it did take a few years, though.

he also lost one while driving-flew right off.

thats why i use stickers. truck is my personal vehicle as well, i take it to bars, weddings, etc.. free advertising and a good conversation piece.

5. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Your name on the truck is a must. If you do not
    have one you may be accused of being a SCRUB!!!!!!
    I saw a guy once with his phone number spray painted
    on the side of the truck. Do you think he might have
    been a scrub???

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Darryl ... where r u?? Tell them about the sidewalk chalk. :D

7. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

My magnetic signs got stuck! I had to tear them off of the truck. All I can figure out is the adheasive from the vinyl on the front went through the magnet. (Probably from this mild 98 degree weather in Texas) I got the spots left behind off with 3M Finesse it. It's vinyl letters for me from now on!

8. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

MATHEW,
    Quote:
    "Your name on the truck is a must. If you don't have one you may be accused of being a scrub!!"

The purpose of having your name on your truck is to generate business. If your booked solid, with a waiting list, your name on the truck is not necessary. Scrubs are quite often more desperate to generate business than a pro with no lettering.

9. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he was being facetious.

10. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Fa.. wha??
    You're joking right.

Curious as to whether anyone who is not accepting new business has truck lettering & if so why. When I took mine off we stopped getting annoying calls from people who wanted single cuts, gardens weeded, & many other services we don't offer. I realize it gets your company name seen but around here word of mouth seems to be enough.