truck letters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jun 30, 2001.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, wasn't joking. Why would I be? I think the bit about being considered a scrub because you have no lettering was just a bit facetious. It does have a point, though, ever so slight.

As far as the lettering thing, I would think that anyone that haas lettering on their truck would like to accept new business, it's just according to the type of work that the folks want done. If you get a call from someone that wants a $5k retaining wall job done, my guess is that you'll find time to do it.;)

2. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

There is some logic in what Matthew said.

Here is my view on signs:

A truck with lettering is more likely to get you noticed and checked for proper business licences...especially if Codes drives by and sees you spraying.

On the other hand a guy with NO LETTERS can just tell the codes inspector: "Hey! Whats wrong with me coming over here and working in my cousin's yard?"...while counting the unreported cash in his head......hehehehehe!!!!! (hmmm...... :))
    ;)

When parked on the jobsite a sign on your vehicle shows that you have accountability...and it also shows that you are proud of your work. :)

A "shingle" over your door shows the public that you are SERIOUS about your game and not just some dude on the way to cut your granny's yard....(especially important if your towing a beat-up riding tractor...hehe..)

A sign is a crucial part of a "professional image" as well as advertising...and image goes a long way in the service industry.

Just my humble opinion.

3. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

CSRA,
    I was being facetious.

If there were 8 days in the week we could find time to do it.
    Nothing against lettering, just wondering if anyone else runs without it. I found less hassles from feeling obligated to answer every call after I took it off.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Calvin, I have to agree with you on this. I have all the work I can handle, and I have never had signs on my trucks. I still get calls from word of mouth and have to turn down work or give it away.

I did have a sign on the back of my trailer when I started out, but got rid of it soon after I started and had all the work I needed. I still feel I can mow grass good enough to be considered a Pro.

5. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

LOL @ Jeff :)

6. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Put your name on the back of your window and one backwards on the front windshield works very well

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Of course I was. You are right about getting calls.
    I do not put my phone number on the side-just the
    name.If they want you to work for them, they will
    stop you on the street before calling. People want
    to "check you out" personally as well.
    On the signs, I use magnets with no troubles. I do
    regularly take them off to wash the doors.

8. GrassChopper

GrassChopper LawnSite Member

I do not have signs because I have all the business I can handle right now. I used to have vinyl lettering but removed it. Too many calls.

9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Many states require signage for pesticide applications.

To be satisfied being in a stagnant growth pattern is beyond me.

10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member