1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck Leveling

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by stuntmanlogan, Apr 10, 2008.

1. stuntmanlogan

stuntmanlogan LawnSite Senior Member

Last night i put in a new thread about chevy truck rims. But now im also wondering if there is some type of shocks or lift to level out my truck. It just seems that right now the front end sags. So i was hopeing that there was a system that can put the truck up a little bit and keep the truck level. And with all of that help with the trailer and snow blade from sagging and putting the truck uneven. Thanks
  2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can put Timbrens on the front or rear to help with the sag, but a plow on the front of a 1500 series truck will be hell on the trucks running gear, and wear it out much quicker than a 2500 or 3500 series truck.
  3. stuntmanlogan

Thanks, i did not know that it was that bad on a 1500. But i wont be getting the blade for a few more years i was just looking for something to put my front end up a little from being so low and sagging and i also wanted that to work for the blade to keep it up in the near future if i was to decide to purchase a snow blade. But as of wright now im just looking for something to keep my front end from sagging so much.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it's all personal opinion, but I think "level" trucks look funny. Trucks are supposed to be higher in the rear... If they sit level when unloaded, then when you put even a little load in the back you are dragging your tail on the ground.

But, you can buy "leveling" kits that do just what you are looking for. they raise the front to match the rear height. Of course you can do the other way too, and lower the rear a little to match the front, which is a LOT easier and cheaper, can be done with a pair of lowering (longer) shackles on the rear spring mounts.
  5. s_melchi

s_melchi LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

6. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

Crank up the torsion bars, that should bring it up enough to look better. i did it on my 98 2500 and it levaled it out. as well as my oo 2500
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

you have to be careful with Airbags or Air shocks for the front. I was told buy the alignment shop i use for my truck, that front air bags or air shocks will change to front end geometry: tow in & tow out, thats because with air you can adjust the ride height of the front. I am not sure if I agree with the alignment shop, since some of the damaged trucks were lowered trucks with air ride? not towing or hauling trucks. Just a thought to debate
  8. Adam3669

Adam3669 LawnSite Senior Member

I actually just put a leveling kit on my Chevy a few nights ago. Go to www.RoughCountry.com and look up their leveling kits. Its new 3" rear blocks and u-bolts, FORD Keys, and new shocks.

Great kit.

Your ride will suffer though anytime you crank up the torsion bars.
  9. stuntmanlogan

Now when you put a leveling kit on or crank up your torson bars is your ride really hard like you fill every bump in the road or will it be about the same ride. Thanks
  10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

An actual kit shouldn't effect the ride quality, craking up the torsion bars does. I have mine turned up about 3/4 of the way. I was told to NOT run the bolts up all the way because the stock shocks aren't actually long enough. Also you will need to have the front end aligned after you raise the front end with the torsion bars. Make sure when you crank them up that you maintain the same height on both sides, just measure from the floor to the bottom of the fender at the center of the wheel. Like I said, your ride WILL be rougher, but I think a truck should ride like a truck... Though it is a little annoying if you are say just taking someone for a nice drive, lol.