Truck Loader Conversion Project...Possible?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by proenterprises, Oct 18, 2005.

1. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Heres the deal. I may have access to a much older vac unit, Giant Vac model, resembling the basic design of the unit seen in this auction. Heres my question. In taking off the front piece (vac, head.) and replacing it with a hose, would I essentially be able to use it as a lead loader, and shoot the debris into a box. The engine is probably a 5 or 8 Hp (I know, slow).

Heres a pic for reference purposes:
  2. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think it will work that well. The impeller is probably too light to handle real debris. This thing is made to vacum lawn areas. Something flat and without a lot of sticks, stones, walnuts and things to digest and spit out the other end. I've only seen them in the showrooms so I may be wrong. I think this is basically an up scale homeowner unit.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second what the captain said. That isn't meant for the abuse that a truck loader sees. I remember reading that the impeller isn't heavy enough. I bought a used 8 hp Giant Vac tailgate loader when I was starting out, and it did get me through 2 seasons, but terribly slow.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Well, my rebutle would be, I am going to be very mindful of what goes into the unit. Meaning, LEAVES ONLY!. It is not a crapsman type unit, its a Giant Vac. It looks like the same principle behind a truck loader.

Any other input?
  5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We used to use a 5 hp vac as a loader and it worked better that nothing. It did shred the leaves a little and allowed us to put more in the truck. It was very slow and small sticks would plug it up. Keep the hose as straight as possible and of course nice fluffy dry leaves are the best for something this small. You have to start somewhere.
  6. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't do it man. Buy a truck loader for loading the truck, not a whimpy vacum.
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

If you can't afford the what 2500? dollar loaders or don't have the work to justify it yet I say go with what you can.

I'm using just a 5hp vac from a trac vac set up, the housing is much larger then the looks of that one in the auction and it actually works really good. Has enough power that it packs the leaves to the front of the truck (not like they're just falling out of the hose, its actually shooting them to the front) and it keeps the 8" inlet hose busy, but you can't just plung it into the pile like on a larger real loader. I had it sitting there, so it was basicly free and will do for this year. Next year I'll step up.