1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck loader mounting.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nozzleman, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

I posted a similar question awhile back but since we have new member's I will ask it again.

I plan on purchasing a 16hp truck loader this fall and I have been pondering on how to mount this unit for some time now.

Here are some of my options.

1. Mount unit on trailer. This is a nice idea since I can back the trailer in the garage at the end of the day and the loader is not attached to my truck. The downside is I wil be limited in getting the truck/trailer combo in tight area's.

2. Mount to plow frame. Nice because I can nose into piles and I will have greater manuverability. Bad because it will be a hassle to take off the truck when not in use.

3. Swingaway mount on back of truck. Least desirable since I will lose the receiver hitch and therefore I will not be able to tow my trailer. Also it will take 4 guy's to remove it from the truck.

I probably will end up trailer mounting the unit but I would love to hear or see pictures on how others deal with this dilema and what they feel to be the pro's and con's to there set up's.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I agree. A fellow LCO has his mounted to his trailer and I dig his setup. I'd like to see how some others do/did it.

3. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Pelicans got a sweet setup with the vac mounted to the plow from going back to the truck bed. If I had a setup with a leaf loader that is probably the way i would go.

4. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

I have only seen pictures of the plow frame mount.
    The hose looks too long, god help you if it clogs. I have worked with the trailer mount before, and it can be tough to get into some places. Last year I used a swing away mount. It works great, The one that I have has a place for a hitch ( I use a 2" ball )so you can still pull a trailer.
    I should be mounting to the truck frame this year.
    Lesco has the swing away mount. I will have a slightly used one for sale this fall.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have mine mounted on my trailer. The same trailer I use to pull my mower and such. I pull it with a grain truck with dump bed. I built up the side of the bed to 6ft. Really nice setup for me since right now I don't have an abundance of leaf removal/scalping accounts. If you have a crew going before you to do the work, then the hitch mount would be best for you. Sorry no pics, only of the grain truck before I modified it.

6. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We use a similar mount as Pelican's. Our F-350 doesn't have a plow, so we just take off the front bumper and bolt on a "platform" made out of angle iron / I-beams and bolt the vacuum to that. Ours is a bit well-used and worn compared to some of the shiny, waxed setups I've seen here, but it works. The over-the-cab tube very rarely clogs, and the fantastic manuveurability of the front mount setup more than makes up for the rare clog.

In my experience, the front mount allows you to tow an equipment trailer without any problem, allows you to easily use your dump bed without having to remove the vacuum, and as stated the ability to easily get into tight spots is great.

The main drawback? Well, depending on how you look at it, it can be minor. As far as I know, it is pretty much illegal in just about every state. Which is kind of confusing, since snowplows are legal. This is why we only drive it on local roads, Never on the highway. The local cops don't seem to care about the leaf vacuums, but the state guys, I have heard, will ticket you if they are in a bad mood.
  7. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

You can pull a trailer with a swing away mount, i did. Do a search for leaf box with my username.
  8. Pelican

Pelican LawnSite Member

I mounted mine to my plow frame as mentioned so I can tow my equipment trailer along with it. It's the only truck I send out for cleanups.

It takes about 10 minutes to put on or off, I can do it myself, but it's easier with 2 men. I pick the box on and off the dumping flatbed with my skid steer.

Here's a thread with more detailed pictures.

Tvov, I never considered that it might be illegal, but I've gone by DOT men and they haven't stopped me....yet. I'd think they might have a problem with the pipe obstructing my view, I may have to remove it between stops.
  9. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a dual receiver out on the market. Its so you can pull a trailer and stick a bicycle rack on the back of a truck at the same time ect... check northerntool.com you will be able to pull a trailer and use the swing away hitch. I couldnt do that because I have to use the back of the truck to put stuff in there for I cant shoot leaves in there.
  10. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Bunton Guy, I have seen those 1 into 2 receiver adapters but while they may be good for a couple of bicycles I think a 500-600 lb loader will probably snap the thing in two pieces.