truck loader mounting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by selnoil, Aug 21, 2004.

1. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

I'm planning my new leaf box which will slide inside our dump body. The box is the easy part to plan but my question is about the truck loader mounting. Do any of you guys have pictures of your mounting??? I've done several searches and havn't seen what I'm looking for.

Plan 1 was to mount it right on the tailgate which will be a solid piece. I'm buying a Little Wonder 16HP. We might need a small ladder to get to the fuel tank and pull cord since the body bed is almost 4 feet off the ground. Might make putting the body down tough without a power down system.

Plan 2 is to get the swing mount that goes in the hitch but then we loose the towing ability. I'd probably put trailer lift jacks in three places so it can come off and go on another truck easier since this thing weighs over 300lbs.

Plan 3 Since in plan 2 we loose the hitch I thought about building a trailer and mounting the loader onto it. I'd make the mounting plate so I can swivel it in any direction so that the suction hose can be straight on either side or rear. It would also make it easier to use it on different trucks.

Anyone have any pictures or your thoughts would be great!!!!!!!!

Mike

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

do you have a plow frame on the truck? our giant vac mounts right to our fisher plow mount, and we shoot a tube over the cab of the truck into the front of the box.

3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

About that plan 2....
    Take truck and loader to a welding shop and have them build you a custom hitch insert "dual adapter" peice that comes out of your hitch and has two 2" hitch receivers on it. One, at the same height as the truck hitch will be for the trailer. The other will be mounted to that, but will be just a couple inches higher, your loader can go into that one. Just an idea...

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I had a fabricator desing this for me. A receiver mounted to the front of the truck. A bracket that holds the loader and is simply inserted to the receiver. With a couple guys, I can take off for winter storage of for whatever reason. If you are more interested in this method, shoot me a PM and I will give you more pics.

grain truck complete.jpg

6. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

You need barn doors on your body....we have it set up on the right barn door, swings open beautifully. You can easily dump the 12 yd capacity without removing the loader or hose. Here in NJ, the popular way to "box in" dump bodies is via canvas. There's a guy here that custom builds them for you truck and loader. Works like a charm.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

We mount our 20hp Giant vac truck loader to the back we have a steel post on the passenger side near the back of the truck with 2 very larger hinges welded to it. The loader sits in them and on a rear plate we mounted and can swing to the side when we dump. Great idea but for a vac that size we are pushing it we had no idea how big the mount was when we decided for the 4 extra hp. Our vac weighs nearly 650 pounds so its no easy task to mount her but the power is to die for 12 inch pipe that will eat anything in over 100 clean ups we never got a serious clog I can not say that about the lesco or billy goat 16s I used. As for pics your out of luck I did not take any last year and won't be mounting it for atleast another 2 months.

8. selnoil

selnoil LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys, keep them coming.

I'm putting this on my dads brand new TC4500 GMC dump truck (243 miles on it), so I'm trying not to make any alterations to the truck or body. If it was mine I wouldn't care.

Walker-talker & MDB, does much get on the cab?? And what about a clog in the tube? I like the idea but were its a new truck and my dads I would be a little nervous going over the cab. Also the top of the head board is almost 10' off the ground.

Thanks, Mike

9. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have my leaf loader mounted on the front of my trailer. It has a pipe to the truck bed. For dumping just pop off the trailer. Its nice because I can still trailer my other equipment and pack the truck full of leaves. Sorry no pictures no digital camera:cry:

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I mounted mine to the tongue of the trailer. Problems are as follows:

1. Always have to have trailer to do clean-ups. You generally need the trailer for blowers, rakes, mower/collection anyhow, but I have an 18' trailer and it's tough to get into some tight spots.

2. Have to unhook trailer to dump the load.

I've been rethinking the swing-away hitch, but as long as I need the trailer for related clean-up equipment, the only problem it solves is getting into tight spots.

Be careful about how high you mount that. that 16hp can be difficult to pull over if it's in a tricky position. Make sure you let that 16hp briggs idle down before you shut it off too. It'll be a bear to start the next time.... trust me.

p1010170.jpg