Truck loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Nov 16, 2005.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at these leaf loaders but how fast are they? If you get a nice pile of leaves down at the front of a yard how long it is going to take to suck them up? Can anyone show pic of leaves and how long it took to get them up and what it look liked after? Thanks.

2. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

it can take a willl if they are just blown there. the guy i work for has a walker so i blow the beds out and and then start to load. some of the leaves he will puch big pilles over to the curb and then he will suck some. the pree chopped leaves go really quict and the whole leaves take awill cuz you have to keep getting the sticks out and uncloging it.

3. LawnBoy89

Do you know offhand what type of loader it is and how much horsepower? Thanks.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If you get a big loader say 16 + hp you can suck up a huge pile in minuets, if you get a smaller one like I have (8hp) then you will be there for a while. No matter what size you get It is still waaay more effeicient than loading by hand. It just depends on how much you use it.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Not sure if this will help, but this pile took me about 20 minutes to suck up. It was about 6 ft wide, 75ft long and about 3.5ft tall. This is scalped grass, but I think leaves would take about the same, if not quicker. I am using a 16hp Lesco loader to suck these up.

medium angle of pile.jpg

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thats great time to suck up that much

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Here is another angle. The pile actually dips down into the ditch, so it may be a little wider and deeper as previously mentioned. If your leaves are mulched up well and soaking wet, it could take as much as twice as long I suppose.

long view of pile.jpg

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

The time is saves using a loader is a huge factor, bit I don't think it's near as huge as what it would do to the body to have to tarp and load this amount of grass. This job took about 3 hours. If I was to tarp and haul to recycling center (across town), it would take an additional 3 or 4 hours. It would fill my pickup probably 3X.

9. LawnBoy89

Wow that is alot to suck up right there pretty good time. Did you say that it takes longer to suck up mulched leaves?

10. K-OS

K-OS LawnSite Member

I think the biggest advantage of the loader is saving the employee. You really only need 1 guy to pick up the leaves, as opposed to having 2-3 lifting the tarp into the truck (not very fun when they are wet).

And if you're wondering, it does suck up wet leaves almost as easily as it does dry. The only way you will run into problems, is picking leaves up in the snow (i.e. when its snowing). I have done this on several occasions and have experienced jamming every time. The snow gets packed in the chute and blocks everything for good.

All this to say, truck loaders are by far the most efficient way to pickup leaves. The quality of leaf loader you buy will determine the amount of time it takes to load the leaves.