Truck Loaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by illday, Jun 10, 2005.

1. illday

illday LawnSite Member

I've just started putting money away for a truck loader. I am a one man operation and for the past 4 years I have tarped into the truck.
    I am looking for a truck loader that I"ll be able to put on and take off my tailgate by myself. Is there a truck loader made light enough for me to
    do this?

2. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

how about the load handler (commercial version)

3. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

The load handler works so good... but the straps that came with it suck (I have the commerical one) so I used some ratch-it straps and it worked like a charm. I leave mine on year round. The load handler cut my time by so far I cant believe I didnt get it any sooner. I use it to unload grass clipping, firewood, gravel, mulch, bricks, stone, dirt, kegs :D , lumber and a bunch more I cant remember. The load-handler was worth the couple hundred dollars. It paid for itself on the first load of firewood I sold a few winters ago.

4. kellroy

kellroy LawnSite Member

man the load handler is the only way to go, un load truck full of grass ,firewood sand ,whatever in only a couple of full turns of the handle . Seen them on e bay and at tractor supply

kellroypatience my a$$ i'm going to cut something :cool:

5. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I think he means a truck loader, not an unloader.
    I have a Billygoat 11hp honda. It is pretty heavy but I'm a midget at 140.
    I get it there now by putting it on the front of a mower and running it up to the front of the trailer, then wiggleing it into posititon from there. I have fabbed a swing mount so I can dump without taking it back off till the season is over. The more HP the better if you plan on sucking wet leaves or grass with it.

6. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

Hey AX MAN will the 11hp suck grass up fine. Im one of those nuts that bag grass, I use a walker then dump into containers then hand load the containers into the back of the truck. Ive been wanting a truck loader so I could just suck the clippings right out of the hopper, or dump on the ground then suck them up. If the loader would do that how long would it take to suck up 9-10 bushels?

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

On occasion I will use my Lesco 16hp loader to suck fescue. If it's wet fescue...forget...not worth the hassle. If it's just dry fescue, it's still a struggle and not recommended (not by me anywho). I use mine to suck leaves and dry scalpings in the spring. Personally, if you insist on using one to unload you Walker, I would go with either a 20hp or more likely a 25hp. To suck a walker hopper (9.5 bushel) would take less than two minutes. It only takes me about 15 minutes to suck up that load in the pic, but it's dry and fluffy.

Pile(2).jpg

8. illday

illday LawnSite Member

9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be way ahead time and moneywise if you make/buy a ramp from trailer to truck, so you can dump without handleing the stuff.
    The loaders still require you to operate them, so untill cleanup time it dosn't pay to use one. Then you make a big pile, pull a guy from blowing beds out to loading.
    11 hp as I said struggles with grass.
    I helped mine by swiching the intake hose to stove pipe (short and smooth compared to a 10 foot hose) but you still have to feed it gently or it will choke.

10. DAVELAWN

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

get the biggest engine you can afford on the loader