1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck Loaders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Laurentian, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Laurentian

Laurentian LawnSite Member

Hey guys, my dealer just recommended a truck loader for spring and fall clean ups. How well do they work? Which brand is the best? Will they pick up heavy raking such as thatch removal debris? Thanks!!!! Any pros or cons will be appreciated.
  2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, they pick up small, even large animals, so watch out. i have a 16hp giant vac "swing away" but mounted to the front of the truck not the rear reciever. it sucks up just about anything, im debating going up to the 20 hp next time because of the 12" tube, mine is a 10". the 12" doesnt get sticks stuck as much. that is about the only worry, sticks. they get caught in the coils of the tube.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Lesco 16 HP, only use it for fall cleanups. Too much junk in the spring time. Buy a brand that has a "liner" in the blower housing or you will have to keep a spare housing for when it wears through.
  4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a 16 hp Billy Goat mounted on a dump trailer. It saves a lot on labor and does a great job. It shreds the leaves and sticks. It will also pick up baseball size rocks. Very powerful.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I got the 22 hp little wonder truck loader. What a beast. Sucked my helpers glove off his hand and once pulled his hat in. (Dont know why his head was so close)
    The are pricey once you get up to the 20hp+. The 16 hp are the lowest I would go if I were you. Personally I dont like anything less than 20hp. There are many good brands out there. What brand is your dealer trying to push? Do your homework on them before you go out and buy one.
  6. Laurentian

Laurentian LawnSite Member

I don't remember the brand but he said they are manufactured in Minneapolis MN. If that helps.
  7. ManorD24

ManorD24 LawnSite Member

16hp Billy Goat, wouldnt do fall cleanups with out one now. I dont bother with it in the spring either. not as many leaves and all the twigs, acorns and rocks chew up the inpeller too much. I think just about every landscaper around me uses then now in the fall.