Truck loaders

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Ben's Landscape, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I am thinking of buying a truck loader this year. Since I live in the North East we get a ton of oak and maple leaves in the fall. Up until now i have been just bagging my leaves with the city leave bags and that just takes way to long to do!! So I was wondering what brand is liked the most?? Pictures of the leafloaders that are being used?? your experience with diffrent brands?? I have heard that anything lower than a 16 hp will clog a lot is this true?? I am just looking for some all around information. Thanks a lot!!!

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We have been using Giant Vacs for years. They are great units, and easy to patch when they wear. I can't speak for truck mounted machines as we only run tow behinds, but hp depends on what size cleanups you are doing.

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 16hp Billy goat truck loader. When the leaves are wet, it can and will clog a bit but it still saves a bunch of time!

5. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 16hp Giantvac (Now an 18hp) and I love it. It clogs very little but once you get used to its limits it works great. They dont shed the leaves as much as I thought it would but it does a great job of saving my back and alot of time.

6. IcutgrASS1

IcutgrASS1 LawnSite Member

Im up north in Mass probably an hour from you, i know,tons of oak leaves, but ill tell ya i used a 16hp giant vac for years and never had a problem even wet...not soaked leaves that have been piled up for 2 weeks in the rain but morning dew wet leaves....only issue that will slow you down is sticks and large twigs sometimes get clogged but we were doing about 8 to 10 good sized clean ups a day verses having a 30 hp now i can squeeze in maybe 2 to 3 more cleanups in a days time.....but good luck, id stick with a 16 or 18 hp just because you can find them pretty cheap....

7. Ben's Landscape

Thanks for the replys!!!! Just wondering when buying a used machine what are some warning signes to look out for?? I am good with motors so i can tell if the motor is going or not. but what about the impeller and inside the housing??

8. Jersey Shore Landscaping

Jersey Shore Landscaping LawnSite Member

9. ruffs

ruffs LawnSite Member
    from md pa

we use giant vac 23 tow behind. Has worked for years and has eaten a frw pitch forks and larg rocks and is still going. The question you may have to ask is how many leaves are you moving. If its just you and 2 other guys it might be over kill and a hitch mount 18 hp would be good. but if you are looking to expand or have 5 or 6 guys the 23 tow behind will be the one you want .It will be able to keep the leaves your guys a bringing to it. Time is $

10. Ben's Landscape

Thanks ruffs!! I think that i have narrowed it down to an 18 because as of right now it is mostly me by myself and ocassionaly my dad or my brother will help but that is a raraity!! How did pitch forks go into the loader??