1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck Modifications...

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 22, 2000.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as to what kind of mods you guys have made to your trucks to help them plow better, or make things more comfortable?

My mods:
    K&N Generation II Air Intake
    Hypertech Power Programmer
    Optima Red Top Battery
    Powermaster 200-amp Alternator
    Energy Suspension Sway Bar Bushings
    Navigator Back-up Light mounted to my hitch
    Highlighter Light Bar
    Air Lift Load Control air bags in the back
    Weather Tech wind deflectors
    Deflecta-Shield Bug Deflector
    Custom-Built (By me) Center console tha holds my;
    Plow Controls
    Spreader Controller
    Mag Light
    Hands-Free kit for my cell phone.
    Oh... and I tweaked my torsion bars up a little

I've spent a lot of time adding things on to my truck, and so far, every one of them has helped... especially the sway-bar bushings.

[Edited by SlimJim Z71 on 11-23-2000 at 01:03 AM]
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I put dual 725CCA Interstate batteries in my 89 and 91 GMC's.I alos put airlift airbags and on board compressor on the 89 2500,it has the V-box in it.I put a .25" smaller pulley on the alternators,that gives fulloutput at 1100 rpms,instead of 1500.I put an icebeg back plate and 140 amp conversion on both my 100 amp alternators.I put B&M trans coolers and a spin on in line trans filter on both trucks.Coolers are 19000 lb rated.I am getting a 4 strobe light system put on the 91,if I like it,ill get the other one done next season.I added back aux lights on both trucks,thru a relay,with bypass switch,so i can run them all the time if needed.I installed crimestopper remote start units on both trucks that also have keyless entry,this is a must for starting the truck as im getting dressed.I like being able to keep it running,with heat on when i go inside at the gas station or diner,while the keys are in my pocket and its locked up.I have deflecta shield vent visors to help keep out the snow when the windows are down while plowing.Since these are work trucks mostly,Im not to concerned with performance mods,they both run great
    and have 350 EFI engines,that do the job stock,easily.I also put in 3 spot cigarette lighters that I wire to the ignition side for power.I plug my beacon,radar detector,and sander controls into this and my cell phone stays in the stock one thats always hot.That way i dont forget to turn on the beacon when i get in or turn it off when i get out.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 11-23-2000 at 01:35 AM]
  3. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We just get 2500's and 3500's from the factory. We order 4.10 rears, moderately agressive tires, snow plow prep package, and dual batteries. We just get 8' plows put on them and start pushing snow.
  4. SlimJim Z71

Oh yeah... I put a B&M 19,000GVW trans cooler on too. Seems to help quite a bit. I was thinking about getting a smaller pully for my alternator, but I wanted to see how it does while plowing first.
  5. DaveO

DaveO LawnSite Member

Gonna miss the Ram??

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys have too much money & free time on your hands. I got nice coffee cup holders, slapped the SIMA stickers on & gave the trucks a good kick in the rear bumpers while giving them the speech about how they'd better behave this winter if we get any snow ;)
  7. SlimJim Z71

You gotta love GM cup holders... they're the only ones I've seen that wil SAFELY hold a Super-Size drink from McDonalds.

Don't get me wrong though, I gave the kick in the bumper too... but it hurt pretty bad since my feet were so freakin cold.
  8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

the ram cup holders will hold a supersized drink no ploblem and it ajust to hold the little ones happymeal drinks.
  9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I had to LOL at the mods you guys need to do to your Chebbys. My Ram is the same way it came out of the box. Only addition was a backup alarm and two backup spots. I ordered it with all the HD stuff I could get, plus carpet delete-nothing like the smell of month-old slush in a carpet on a warm February day.
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Dave,Im going to miss it,but it was a little long for big lots and since i drive the 89 now with the v-box.I didnt trust anyone else in the big Ram.It was to clean to put the V-box in and then it wouldve been even longer.My chevys do not need any of the mods I did,but in doing them i hope to prevent a breakdown at a later date that could cost a lot more than the upgrade.I am picky about my trucks.My Dodge had just as many mods,so you better get that shift kit ordered for the Dodge if its an auto.