Truck Needed to Pull This?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by SLC LLC, Nov 29, 2007.

1. SLC  LLC

SLC LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking into the purchase of a new truck and also a new enclosed trailer. I am looking into either a 20' or 24' trailer. Would a 2500 or 250 pull that alright? I hope to go Diesel truck as well. I know there are a lot of things that vary in this question in terms of what would go in the trailer, etc., but we focus mainly on mowing. So there will be walk-behinds in there, along with some smaller items.

2. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it will pull fine especially if you get a deisel. I have a small 4.8ltr v8 and i pull a 18ft enclosed fine. Just make sure you get a good brake controller. I have the prodigey and love it. A deisel will toss a 20ft around just fine

3. SLC  LLC

I may be wrong, but I think I remember at one time someone posted on here about a longer tongue on the enclosed trailer that made it easier to maneuver. Can anyone shed some more light on this???

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Is this enough light for ya! One of my employees cranked the wheel a bit much on my f450. Damn, that trailer is new this year.

November 2007 010 (Medium).jpg

November 2007 011 (Medium).jpg

5. the cleanup man

the cleanup man LawnSite Member

need help after 1 year in business looking to upgrade tractor to ztr or walk-behind am in stockbridge,ga area where is a good place to shop for used equipment what to look for thank you the cleanup man

6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

i think if you have a flat bad or a dump, i would get the extended tounge, otherwise i dont think it matters.

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Go 1 ton or bigger because you won't have to worry about being overloaded. 3/4 ton trucks will pull a 30 ft enclosed but a 1 1/4 ton truck will do it all day long and with a load in the back as well. Thats just my thoughts. I have pulled a 24 ft enclosed with my 1500 V6 Chevy.:weightlifter:

8. SLC  LLC

I am taking it that you have to special order the extended tongue on most trailers? Also, an upgrade to 7000# axles would probably be a wise investment as well???

9. beano

beano LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, The extended tounge makes it easier to maneuver. I would think 7000lbs axles at least, because after you consider the weight of the trailer you have a big trailer that can only hold 4500lbs (if you get 7000lbs axles). I have 2wb's and a z and with the weight of the trailer i have about 2,000lbs to still load but if you had a 24ft trailer you could add a z and be close to the limit. Also if they have a "landscapers package" its a wise investment. I ordered mine with it and it came with the extended tounge, ramp door, extra light, extra vent, side vents and studs every 16 inches instead of 24 inches.

10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

What truck are you lookin at? I'd try and find a deal on a '07 Chev 2500 personally.