Truck opinion poll

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dirty Water, May 29, 2006.

?

Would you Rather:

1. Buy a truck built in Mexico with a American Badge

48.6%
  2. Buy a truck built in the USA with a japanese Badge

51.4%
  1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Toyota is coming out in '08 with a 3/4 ton Diesel truck. The rumored engine will be either a 4 cylinder DOHC common rail engine with variable valve timing (A first for a diesel?) or a inline 6 with the same.

Its going to be manufactured in Indiania.

Sign me up :)

2. Allen's LS

Allen's LS LawnSite Member

I wouldn't think it realy mattered much anymore. It seems that most things are outsourced. If it is an American automobile they still have to adhere to certain standards. I would personaly like to see as much of it made here in the USA and keep the jobs here. But I understand the economics behind it. :hammerhead:

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I sort of agree with Allen here. Nothing is made completely in the US anymore it seems.

But, I'd really like to get more info on one of these things. I've been whining to myself that SOMEONE should produce a 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck with a 4 cylinder diesel, for people who don't need the pulling capacity of the Powerstroke or the Cummins/Isuzu I-6 options, but want the better fuel economy.

4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing is made completely by ANYONE any more...

5. Dirty Water

Yep, that should throw Patriotic loyality out the window right?

So, if a foreign company makes a superior product, why not buy it?

6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont trust anything NEW comming out especially if it is someone trying to make a diesel engine. DOHC on a diesel...are you serious? I will stick with the BIG 3 until joe schmoe has worked out the problems that are likely to arise with this thing.

Good point that nothing is made by any one anymore...

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The Japanese building full sized trucks is maybe the last nail in the domestic auto makers coffin.I buy GMC, Chevy trucks, our whole fleet is GM product,buying GM pays into my all my brothers GM pensions.Gm going under is just a matter of when, and is inevitable probably Ford to , I can support all my brothers, and the silver lining in the black cloud would be, that no good union that makes the domestic automakers uncompetitive, with unproductive work place rules, job banks etc. and throws it’s unconditional support behind the liberalist liberalass democrats with campaign contributions, will go the way of the auto companies they are killing, in the scrap heap.And all that get out the vote and campaign money will dried up dryer then a desert.

I never owned a Toyota or Nissan etc, but it might feel nice riding in car or truck Built by non union,who don't have funneled from workers union dues to liberalass democrat politicians campaign funds.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

News flash - one of the big 3 already makes a DOHC diesel...

EDIT - er, mabye I read you wrong - by big 3, I thought you meant the big 3 diesel engine manufacturers...

If you meant big 3 as in GM/Ford/Chrysler, I misread you.

But, there DOHC for a diesel isn't anything new.

9. Dirty Water

Variable valve timing is though, its going to make economy go through the roof.

10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Meant big 3 automakers...