1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck or trailer break down

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by siklid1066, Apr 23, 2008.

1. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

What does one do if your rig or part of your rig breaks down for a day or 2 or a week?Any good rental companys?Cost?
  2. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I do all the maintiniance, if a piece of equipment is down, I will do anything humanly possible to get it up an running fast, every hours it's down, is an hour I'm not making money. Renting equipment to make up for broken equipment is not an option.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I could get another truck from a family member but as far as another trailer goes I would have to rent one or find someone who has one that I can use. But if my trailer breaks down abd requires ant major repairs I probably will just buy a new one, and bigger.
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

I'm solo but I still have a back-up truck and equipment. Down time is way to expensive, let alone the reliability issues. I have trouble understanding these guys that want to run underpowered, old trucks. Here today, gone tomorrow. I'm in this for the long run.
  5. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife has a factory installed hitch on her SUV, so in a pinch I would use it.
  6. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

U-haul for a truck. You need to have a wiring setup, but their F-150 with class III hitch rents for about $20 a day, plus about 80 cents a mile, (plus additional fees--last I checked 2 years ago). Just so long as your trailer isn't over 5000 lbs or so (no electric brakes).
  7. siklid1066

Do they (UHaul)have box trucks with ramps to get your items in and out?Even big mows?

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

i have used a uhaul box truck in a pinch when the trailer breaks down
  9. siklid1066

What about a box truck with ramps?Are the ramps sturdy enough for lets say a 36 in machine.
  10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, they will be fine, just be careful with ramps on box trucks, I have had mine kick out a few times when I was first getting used to them. Try to drill some holes in the floor and drop a pin in for your ramps.

Ironically, this is the way I got introduced to a box truck. When my trailer broke a few years back, I rented a box truck for a couple of days and loved it. I bought one the following year.