Truck or Trailer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greenngrow, Sep 25, 2001.

1. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

:confused:

I have been in the application business for over five years.

I was wondering how many of you guys have trailers for your tanks. And how many of you use trucks.

I presently use a truck and have over one hundred accounts. If I switch to a trailer it would free up one of my trucks.

Just looking for some input.

Thanks

2. Kevin M.

Kevin M. LawnSite Member

I have my 200 gallon tank on the back of a pickup and it works awesome since I service and fertilize many million dollar homes and several large resorts. I have about 600 feet of hose and it works great with the programs I have for these properties. I wouldnt have a trailer because its too hard to get around these properties and I might hit something like grass or a sprinkler head. The truck is the way to go is my opinion. I have about 300 accounts with the fertilizer and my IPM programs.

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

what kind of truck? any pics?

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I use a f-250 with 200 gal and 50 gal. Two pumps and Two hose reels. I also have two trailers that have bigger step-ups.
    Some days I use only the truck so I can get in those places I can't with a trailer. Depending on what I am doing I might use the 200 as a drop tank to the 50 or I mix Lawn in the 200 and ornamental in the 50. Pre treats I pull a big trailer. I also have small trailer with 100 gal and a 50 gal. When I pull this set up I have 4 cocktails in 4 different hose reels. Boy do I need to buy an Iszu.
    My buddy has a 300 gal in the truck bed and drops to 50 gal on a trailer. I like this set-up but it can't get in every where.

5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

No pis at this time.

The truck is a 88 half ton 4x4 GMC.

It is getting on the old side. The more I think about this. I think a truck is the way to go. I just need a bigger or heavier truck. Maybe a 3/4 or 1 ton.

Thanks for all your replies

6. greensummer

greensummer LawnSite Member
    from canada

My Opinion:

Panel truck,preferably 1 ton, 200 gallon capacity.
    Excellent for IPM. I currently use a 3/4 ton and its too small.

Good Luck!

7. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I use my plow truck and a trailer. That frees up the truck for the spreader and a ton of fertilizers. I can also use it for mowing and leaf/debris removal. The insurance is lower if the unit is not mounted in the truck. Also, if you have to leave the truck outside as I do, the spray unit will not get rusty or covered in snow all winter. If you tow a trailer around enough, it will not be seen as a hassle. I do not have any troubles, even in tight neighborhoods.

8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Mark

Trailers are cheaper than trucks and real easy to outfit any number of ways. Covered trailers are getting very popular around here for security, privacy, and to keep the fert dry.

Central Kentucky should provide ( I think) plenty of room for moving & parking. The closer you go toward NYC around here, the fewer trailers you see. It gets too tight for them.

Steve