truck organization

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luv of green, Mar 24, 2002.

1. luv of green

luv of green LawnSite Member

HEY ALL i was just getting tired of my truck being all cluttery looking, by the time i got my clipboard, palm pilot, water, phone, flyers business cards, flyers etc.... my truck looks lika hurricane came through, i want some of your ways to keep paperwork, invoices, labels, and such in a truck that is accesible and not mess? any info would be helpful,
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL THIS YEAR IT IS FORMING UP TO BE A VERY PROFITABLE SEASON.

2. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

The nicer trucks have arm rests with large storage compartments that should stow all your loose items. My truck is a no frills bench seat econo job. I was considering a organizer that hangs off the back of the seat, this would also keep loose items out of view from potential thieves. It wouldn't be convenient access however.

My two gallon jug of water sits on the floor of the passenger side along side my cooler containing my 50 cent sandwiches and little debbie snack cake.

This will be my first season with a PDA, which eliminates my cluttered clipboard and pens.

3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

inside of it, my clipboard contains:

1. weekly employee time sheets-white
    2. lawn estimate/renewal proposals-blue
    3. fertilizer estimate/renewal proposals-green
    4. work orders for landscaping-yellow
    5. bills/invoices-not 8x11 so easy to distinguish
    6. pens/pencils. white-out
    7. company letterhead-also white

i keep paperwork separate by cutting up different colored manila folders and marking them. as you may have noticed, i marked the actual color of the paper for each proposal/work order, which correspond to the divider color i keep less than 25 of each, and refill every sunday night, or monday morning.(sooner if neessary)

business cards are kept in my wallet in my back pocket. but some are also in the seat divider just in case i run out.

oher items in seat divider:
    1. map of city
    2. calculator
    3. fliers
    4. ODOA guide to insect and mite control
    on woody ornamentals, and herbaceous perennials- use it as a reference
    5. weed identification book
    6. lawn flags in case we are applying some chemical
    i have a few other items in there that change throughout the year-mostly aeration or fertilization pamphlets available from LESCO.
    the phone is sometimes on me sometimes on the sun visor. depends if im talking to a customer/client at a site.

now behind the seats, that is an entirely different area. virtually everything you can think of to keep us going is back there. that's where the real mess is-LOL

1. toolbox
    2. marking paint
    3. extra mower blades
    4. chain
    5. jumper cables
    6. mini air compressor-for tires only
    7. edger blades
    8. sprayer wand and tip
    9. gloves
    10.rags
    11.loppers
    12.hand saws
    13.odd mowing parts just in case

im sure there is a better way to divide up the stuff, and use something instead of a clipboard. but, i really like the clipboard-stuck in my ways i guess.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

not sure if any of u guys have this but i got this nifty clipboard that opens up and has a area to hold ur pens, paperclips, and other little things, also can hold a nice stack of paper, so in there i keep a tape measurer, utility knife, paperclips, pens, lined paper, graph paper, printer paper, job forms, estimate sheets. it also has a good calculator attached and a handle for carrying it around. it was less then $20 and well worth the money. Ill will also be adding business cards and flyers inside it also.u can get some nifty truck organizers from a company called galls, probably galls.com.

5. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

A briefcase maybe? If you use a laptop, there are similar cases which will also hold the 'puter.

6. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a nice little brief case by Bucket boss... Holds all the crap I need inclluding my MSDS book, maps, business cards, all my forms...has all sorts of pockets for crap like pens , tapes, lines, levels, small tools, the back folds out like a small desk so it' s quite functional....... i got it from tool crib.com... Only place i could find with this particular one.. It's kinda square, not like a tradional brief case.....

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

On my bench seat I used to use a Small RubberMaid RoughNeck roughtote storage box about 16"long x 10.5" w x 7"h ( 3 gal.)

Lip on lid Kept small junk form moving around and funtioned fine as an armrest.

8. jbt

jbt LawnSite Member

Go to www.galls.com and do a search for "seat organizers" they also have different type of clipboards.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I carry a lot of paper work, I use milk crate style file hangers. plans go in the tool box.

10. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

At office supply stores you can get plastic storage boxes that have hinged lids and transparent mini lids to hold pens,etc. Don't feel alone. Keeping a clean truck during the mowing season is a constant uphill battle.