Truck Problem 2: hitch is stuck in receiver!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bigjeeping, Mar 1, 2006.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I cannot pull it out of the receiver. I think it's rusted in pretty bad. I've tried spraying multiple rust products in there... I've also spent hours banging on it with a hammer/sledge. I've tried angling a jack on it and prying it out. I've tried chaining to another truck and pulling it out (the road was snow covered and we ended up pulling eachother back and forth!)

The things which I have in questions are......

1) Torching it.... will this work? What type of torch?

2) Chaining to a large tree, driving like 20mph and putting the truck in Neutral before the chain is pulled....... what do you think?

100_0285.JPG

2. climber

climber LawnSite Member

I would take it to someone who has an abrassive blast machine (like painting but it shoots out sand, removes paint, rust, dirt, etc.) That should work. Dont try chaining to a tree that will only result in a bad outcome.
    Dan

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

get an air chisel you should be able to nose it in and shake it loose.

4. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Um... Get a new receiver.

i had the same problem, your gonna spend like $300.00 triing to get it out.

new hitch new ball.. $250.00

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Lots of heat and a big sledge. Beat the crap out of it. I had same problem.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

soak it with diesel fuel for a few days, then use an 02 torch with a rose bud tip to get it hot and a smack with a hammer will break the rust holding it, if not hook it to a tree get her red hot again and drive away slowly because it won't be real tight any more

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ok, if your going to try the 20MPH on the tree idea, get the vid camera, i want to see it!!lol, Ide go with Macs idea, should work

8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

its just a suggestion but try to spray it down real good with pb blaster and try to hit it back in a little to get it loosened up then try to pull it out.

9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

What's an air chisel?

Olderthandirt - how would I soak it in diesel? I mean there's no literal way to soak it.. i guess I could just keep pouring it on. I do have access to an oxy torch and that was my next plan.

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Don't hurt a tree ya dummie!