Truck Programmers?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FearThisDeere, Sep 26, 2006.

1. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the deal with these things? I am looking for a good one for my 6.8 V10. Not looking for better mileage (it would be a plus) just something that I can do even better with towing and maybe a little more pickup here and there. I am really happy with my truck, so I am leaning towards it is not worth it. Anybody have any opinions. I have looked at SuperChips and Hypertech. I have found a few on Ebay at good prices. What does the installation entail? Can you really just plug in and play? Now for the big question: warranty? Will this kill my warranty even if I set it back to stock. Will they really notice it? I am just thinking. Any input would be great.

2. FearThisDeere

I am leaning towards Superchips. Ford said it won't hurt my warranty at all. Any opinions? Pros or cons?

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a super chip on my 03 because it ran like **** and the mechanic told me to do it , just put back in stock mode if i brought it back in for service work. I t worked real well made it run like a 7.3
    Mike

4. FearThisDeere

Great news, I just put a bid on Ebay for one that will work with my truck for $150 ready to go. It ends in a little while, so we'll see!

5. PerennialSuccess

PerennialSuccess LawnSite Member

My buddy has one he uses on his 02 F150, he gets like 25mpg HWY on premium. But I have a feeling he got lucky, I've never seen another truck get that good of gas mileage.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What engine does he have?

7. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

That's funny. I never in my life thought about programing for a truck. I got a Camaro that I have been adding power to for a year now. Just never even thought about it for a truck that you could actually get some use out of the extra power instead of play power. lol

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good luck i paid 350 for mine 2 years ago, now they want 500 for my 06. It was a 1 shot deal since you down load the vin #.
    Mike

9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be VERY careful about buying a "used" on off ebay... Those are all only ONE use type programers, they only will work for ONE vehicle untill that vehicle has been "deprogramed" and set back to stock settings, then they can be used on another. I'd be afraid of buying something that is in use on another vehicle, either the seller dosn't know that or they are trying to scam half their money back off ebay...

Iv'e researched them some, found just so-so results for gasser trucks and you HAVE to use premium. fuel savings there would be nill then, since it costs 30 cents more...

10. FearThisDeere

Well, I lost the auction on EBay. I have looked at some other ones on there. I have contacted some of the sellers and a few have said that they guarantee 100% that the truck was deprogrammed and the VIN lock was off, so we'll see what happens. On a side note, isn't there a feature that lets you run on 87?