1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

truck purchase - GAS or DIESEL?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by A1 Grass, Mar 17, 2003.

1. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I may be purchasing a new(er) truck and I haven't ever had or considered a diesel.

I am thinking maybe an F250 Power Stroke 3/4 ton.

I was looking at Chevy Z71's but I would like better mileage.

My price range will be $7000-$8000.

Gas or Diesel?

Ford/Chevy/Dodge/ model suggestions?
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

3. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

If mileage is your main concern, you should look at 90-98 Dodge with the 12 valve cummins. Don't know why but they get better mileage than the 24 ISB cummins. My 02 gets around 20 to 21 mpg and the guys I know who own the older cummins say they get about 23 mpg.

I have a buddy who's 95 ford gets about 20 mpg. I'd stay away from the early chevies.
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

My 460efi will get 10 on a good day.:mad:
  5. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm really more a fan of Dodge/Cummins, but I'd take a F250 (or even better F350) Powerstroke anyday over the Z71. Diesel will last you longer, have better resale, and will be more economical to run. Not to mention it will haul a trailer better than the Z71.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

12 valve cummins, 5spd manual. Anything under say.....300,000 miles is just a baby---worst thing that happens is you lose 5th gear (overdrive)

Did you give up on that 318? I hope not---if I was anywhere close I'd buy it from you.
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Diesel - will never own gas again! :)
  8. Nozzleman

Nozzleman LawnSite Member

Diesel all the way. However with your budget you may have a tough time finding one in good shape. The engine will probably be fine but the rest of the truck may be beat. The one downfall to buying a used diesel is that they were usually bought by their previous owners to be worked. This is especially true with the older diesels (pre '98) before the "big diesels as daily drivers to the office" trend began. Also most '98 and newer trucks are $15,000 and up.

I don't want to sound negative and their are always exceptions, but buyer beware.
  9. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Get a Diesel.
  10. A1 Grass

A1 Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my real dilemma...

I could:

1. Invest money in the '88 Dodge (318) and hop up the engine. After all, I'm only pulling an 8' trailer (enclosed w/ 32", 21", etc). I do actually love the Dodge, but the mileage isn't that great. Plus, can I recover my investment in the Dodge.... probably not.

2. Sell the Dodge and put the money down on a diesel, which will leave me with about $100 a month payment, which can almost be paid for with my savings on gas, based on 1 tank a week.

sounds kinda obvious....

I'd like to hear from some diesel owners on their actual mpg!

Thanks a lot guys...