1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

truck question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Drew Gemma, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Would a f150 4x4 v8 be better than a f250 v10. Just use this for the daily mowing route. Do you think you save any money. Or just go with the bigger truck. Does anybody use a 4x4 f150 v8 what kinda mileage do you get pulling a trailer. mine is a 18ft.
  2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

don't own either but i've heard that 4x4's eat up the gas, plus the insurance premiums are higher.. hope this helps.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Insurence is not always higher. I had a 88 s10 and when i bought my 96 f250 4x4 diesel it went down 25 dollars. Something about the f250 has less metal then the s10, it didnt make sense but i dont care.

The v10 is probably going to use more gas, they're pigs. Either way is going to use alot of gas but the v10 will most likely be worse. I know someone will say "a v10 has more power so it takes less to pull" Well they still only get X mpg. I think the few times i've talked to people with them they were getting around 10-12 towing. Buy a diesel, 20mpg towing here :D
  4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know the answer to your question but I do know I have really monitored how fast I am driving (18' trailer here also) I've noticed driving at or maybe even 1 to 2 miles below the speed limit has made a huge difference. I have always done the things like tire pressure, timely oil and filters change, grease bearings, etc. I'm telling you the biggest effect on my gas mileage since prices spiked has been the tremendous effort to change driving habits.

I drive about 17 miles to the town I primarily work in about 12 @ 55 mph and 5 @ 60 mph (interstate) I got fed up with bungholes seeing a truck pulling a trailer and trying to draft me so I figured I would slow down a bit, you would not believe some folks actually would follow me @ 45 freakin mph just to draft!!! I just figured if you don't mind being late and I have to pay for part of your gas to we will drive nice & slow.

Anyway sorry to get off topic but driving habits are very difficult to change IMHO but if you can do it they will display a noticeable difference in mpg.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I don't know on a ford but for dodges they pull just a hard as a diesel but drink fuel at an alarming rate. I would try to go with a diesel even though it costs more, it is worth it in the long run. Also how long do you plan to keep your truck? My buddy has an old Cummins engine that has been in three different trucks, it simply will not die. He figures its close to 600,000 miles on the engine. Plus the new f150's 5.4 rated at 300hp sure doesn't feel that strong to me, I test drove it and it was a let down.
  6. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

if your going to plow get the 250... either way i would get the 250 though.
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I thought I was the only idiot to ever try drafting on the freeway! haha. It didn't work, I sat behind a big rig cruising at almost 65 in just my truck and didn't see much fuel gains from it. I think it works mainly at high speeds like nascar :rolleyes: boy i get bored easy and try stupid stuff to stay busy.
  8. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

When pulling my 12 ft tandem axle trailer with a 36 Metro HP and a 60" Lazer behind a 2003 F150 with a 5.4 with 3.55 gears I was averaging between 8.5 and 9.5 mpg with the trailer hooked up. I generally stopped to fill up around 225 miles to a tank in the F150 and it had a 30 gallon tank with the longbed.
    Now I have got a 2002 F350 Dually with 7.3 PSD and get between 10.5 mpg and 13 If I can manage to baby the heck out of it and fill up around 375 to 400 miles to a tank with a 38 gallon tank.
  9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The new F-150 also weighs approximately 500-700lbs. more than the last generation, which takes away the 'seat of the pants' feeling that 300hp would have in a lighter truck.
  10. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last fill up I had was 508.5 miles on 30 gallons which equated to 16.95mpg in my '04 PSD.

Have you checked your fuel filters and air filter lately? Those would have a profound effect on your mileage.