Truck Question?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by A.V., Jan 2, 2004.

1. A.V.

A.V. LawnSite Member

Hi everybody,just getting into the business this year. Don't have a lot of equipment just 36" Metro exmark and 20" mower 2 weedeaters and 603 blower. I'm doing strictly residential.I own a 96 Toyota Tacoma two wheel drive. Can i pull a 5 by 12 trailer with this truck or would a 5 by 10 do better. cant afford a bigger truck right now. What do you think guys need some feed back. Thanks

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm poling 6/12 with a 99 ford ranger 4/4 with a 48 ,36 ,21 in lawn mowers two trimmers two backpack blowers walk behind blower so i don't see to much of a problem

3. Southpaw

Southpaw LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Yeah, I agree that you should be able to pull that trailor.

I have a Ford F 150 2WD and I pull a 6/12 also. I do have the Triton V-8 with the 5.4 engine though. Look in your owner's manual if you still have it and look up your capacity ratings.

Good luck!

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I pulled a "heavy" 6x10 with a 93, toy V6, 4x4,...for years......no problem.

Even the 4 bangers are pretty strong..........

Love the Toyotas....!!!!!

Derek

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes it will pull it. Not much difference in weight on a 5x10 and 5x12 trailer. A little extra angle iron and little extra wood. The toy will be fine.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

i would go with the 12 foot trl, if you go with a 10 you can get 2 mowers on it but you might have to turn 1 sideways, i get 2 on my 12 footer end to end , I notice you have 1 large mower but go with the 12 just in case you decide to get another mower and carry 2, it is easier to spend just a few more bux now then to try to trade or sell in the future to upgrade trailers.

7. A.V.

A.V. LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the responce. I Was a little nervouse, but after reading the threads i'm going to go ahead and order the 12 footer. Man this site is great.