truck replace a trailer to carry mowing gear?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tonyr, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi,

About to trade up to a midmount mower, current trailer is just too narrow, my options are, buy a car trailer, or a 2nd hand 2 ton approx. truck with 12'' wheels for e.g. this should be low enough...?

I will need a 16 ft long tray either way, I don't usually remove rubbish or need a grass bin etc, just a means of carrying mowing gear, Z, chemicals, feuls etc, should allow me enough space at the back then for wool bags of rubbish on those rare occasions.

My wanting to go with a low tare truck is length of rig for parking etc, and towing a trailer around with my 4 x 4 is aging it too much.

Could I ask for your comments pros and cons about having a truck replace a trailer please?

Thank you,

Tony.

Have a great and safe Christmas folks!

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Get a flat bed made for the truck and build a beaver tail onto it to get a lower height and a longer bed.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote would be something like this. So much nicer than pulling a trailer around all day!

mvc-403s.jpg

4. Tonyr

Thanks guys!

Wow Avery, that's what I've had in mind for months!
    Just never seen one here, the dual cap would be ideal, very neat set up mate! Towing trailers isn't something I enjoy, blocks traffic, driveways, wasted space with long drawbar, plus wear n tear on towing vehicle.

If you didn't have the dropped part of the deck for loading, could I use ramps say 8' long on a low deck height truck like yours?

I'm going to try to not spend a cent more than necessary on the truck, new Z is $24000, plus 3' tool room up front accross truck, plus the truck of course is enough money out to make a bloke nervous in this fragile climate in OZ nowadays.

Avery, re our previous discussion re Z355 toro's....I rarely get the chance to mow in damp conditions here, but I did a job last week catching, turned the trash into pulp and wouldn't throw it out of the deck, terrible. Mulching in damp, hopeless, just clogs the deck.

Damp working in my conditions this mower was a disaster, however, in dry conditions this mower shines, even in heavy conditions it shines, just not in wet. Just wanted you to be updated.

Thanks again guys, have a great day tomorrow.

Tony.

Avery, I'm sending you a check for ya truck mate!

5. Avery

You would have to have a really low bed to use ramps. I have the dove tail plus the ramp on this one and the deck of a Toro Z Master barely clears going up. That angle you see at the top of the dove tail is about the sharpest you can go and still load a Z. Good luck with whatever you get!

6. Tonyr

Thanks Avery,

I guess away around that would be say to use a standard low tray truck, and use 2 long ramps to load and unload, these could dummy as side gates too with tin on one side of the expanded metal to have signwriting on...

I know manual ramps isn't the best idea, but if they are light enough and they work I guess I could get used to them...eventually, later as I recoop some bucks I can improve things...

What brand of truck is that mate?

Has it got 12inch wheels?

I'm actually now looking online at Kia's, Toyota's, I can afford a kia, kinda but they are too small, the toyota is too expensive for a small truck, trying to find diahatsu but can't find their site.

Any Asian cheap trucks you would recommend to check not mentioned above?

I really love the dual cab, who else but diahatsu make them?

Sorry for all of the questions:)

Tony.

7. Avery

That is a Chev. 4500 with a 16' bed. Basically the same as a NPR. Not sure what size the wheels are but they are much larger than 12".

As far as the crew cab I do not know who else makes them. I am a die hard chev. fan. I don't consider other brands when it is time for a new truck. :)

8. Tonyr

Wish I lived in the US, you guys are sooo lucky being able to have great utes/trucks like Dodges, Chev's etc, we working class in this country with it's crap society only get jap stuff at best.

Only the rich "wanna be seen" can drive American cars here :)

I see your lawns, new mowers, great trucks n trailers, we don't get to even consider having nice stuff, sure we get the new mowers, but not many afford new vehicles and the mowers cost us twice as much and we are on less per hour, your ecconomy is great for small business, good on yas for making it that way!

Mate, I better send you a bigger check, thought it was a toyota or something :)

Keep well,

Tony

9. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Tony. You don't have to have a dove-tail on the Isuzus to use them for a cuttin' rig you know. Here is how I set mine up. Click the link below to see.Pics of my 99 Isuzu NPR cuttin' rig

If you have any questions, let me know.

Victor

10. Avery

Nice rig Victor! I thought long and hard about a box bed. Reason I went with the landscape body is you give up too much with the box. With a landscape bed you can haul pallets, tractors, mulch, debris, the list goes on and on. Of course you can store your equipment in the dry. That is one thing I gave up with my bed.