truck running bad, need help!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by scott's turf, Apr 8, 2005.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I have a 2002 chevy cab over with a 5.7 gas engine. The truck only has 15k miles on it. I bought it a few months ago and it hasn't been driven since tonight. I took it out with the trailer to get gas and it ran ok for the first mile or two and then it seemed to be losing power. After I filled up the truck with gas I made it about .5 miles longer and then I lost all engine power. I could get it started but it is idling rough and when I put it in drive it will barely creep forward and with sputter and stall. Any ideas? Could it be a fuel filter? Where would it be? On the engine. Thanks for the help. I would really like to get this thing running tomorrow morning.

-Scott

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

fuel pump, dirty injectors, or hopefully the filter.

Filter is probably inline on that truck (I am not for sure) Pump is probably in the tank or inline. Turn on key and see if you hear the pump run.

Good luck

3. cndhaines

cndhaines LawnSite Member

u said the trucks hasent been driven in a few months? if thats true the fuel probably has moisture in it and the shelf life of untreated(stabil)gas is one month so since u put in new gas go get some stabil and a good octane booster make sure it says octane booster on the back of the bottle not the ones that says will clean your valves and carbon so u dont need higher octane. and change your filter it will be under the truck behind the frame rail on the drives side

chris

4. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Often on the 5.7L the fuel pump will fail, it will run but pressure will be too low to open the injectors. They have a poppet valve that the fuel pressure over comes to make the injector spray. Some times when trucks sit the fuel in the poppoet will form a residue that makes the injector stick closed, but since you said it ran untill you got fuel my guess is the pump. For some reason that I don't know it is quite common for a fuel pump in gm vehicles to fail just after refueling. We often get vehicles towed into the shop with full tanks ans bad pumps.

5. scott's turf

from NH

thank you all for the help. I replaced the fuel filter and the spark plugs and still acting up. I can drive about 30 mi/hr with it but when I floor the gas pedal the truck bogs down. I can hear the fuel pump working. If it is the fuel pump does it make sense that it is working a little? Would it be a lot of work to take the pump out and see if there is a clog or something? I have some time today to tackle this. Thanks again for all your input.

-Scott

6. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

yes you can hear the pump run but it may not be enought pressure
    if i remember correctly it should be over 50 psi i can check tomorrow if you need.

7. scott's turf

from NH

Ok, I guess it was never broken. I managed to drive it to the garage the other day. Took awhile to get up to speed with it but I did get there. On the hills I would lose speed because if I tried to accelerate too much it would start to buck. Well I get a call from the garage yesterday and they said that the truck is fine and they test drove it and found nothing! So I picked it up last night and they were right, it is running fine. Apparently I just hade bad gas in the tank. The gas was 3 months old. I probably should have put some fuel stabilizer in it. Oh well. Just thought I would share the news.