truck shifts hard, tranny trouble, opinions please

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by causalitist, Mar 21, 2008.

1. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

this site is awesome, been sharing ideas with you guys for 2 years now.
    hopefully some of you can give me your opinion on a truck related problem.
    i have a 1998 S10 4.6L 100k miles, auto transmission, rear wheel drive.

it shifts hard into 2nd gear, a nice kinda jerk, i minimize this by letting off the gas at around 10mph when it shifts, i've been told its no big deal, but am concerned. i bought the truck like this last fall.

besides this the rest of the gears shift smooth and it drives fine if i drive it normally.

however, if i really gas it, let the rpms climb high going 50mph or so, and then LET OFF the gas just slightly, it revs up really high like in neutral, engine is basically "free wheeling" as if no load on it.. aka like in neutral...

if i let off alot this doesnt happen and it goes into the gear it should.
    if i continue to floor it, it continues to haul ass like it should.

this only happens if i really gas it for a bit and then back off a tad.
    normal driving will not cause it to do this.

it has correct fluid level, new trans filt.

i'm really worried as i paid good money for this truck and if the trans is going out i want to get rid of it.

local trans shops dont tell me jack, just quote me a price to pull it completely apart.

i really hope someone knows about this stuff and can give me an idea of whats wrong, how bad of shape it is in.. this has to have happened to thousands of other transmissions and i figure someones gotta have an idea of whats wrong.

thanks alot guys!!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well, you could pay the $100 to have a diagnostics done at Aamco thou I did and they just told me what I already knew :laugh:

Change the trans fluid and filter!
    Absolutely, this would be my first step, new fluid and what have you but every 10,000 miles is the DIY interval, 20k for shop changes.
    It's messy but I prefer DIY so I can see what the stuff looks like (and inspect and clean the pan myself).

Then it could be a rubber grommet or some brass washer needs replacing, translation: something loose in the linkage...
    Or a solenoid or some electric sensor in the side of the tranny...

Check and see if you can find the transmission mount, it might be broken.
    If so, replace it.

And take it easy, my Dodge likes to stick in gear when I gas it too, yes, stubbornly.
    Nothing more that's inexpensive I can do that I know of, just have to drive it nice.
    Sux but such is life.

3. causalitist

thanks, i dont mind it, i just need to know if i should be worried it'll go out completely on me.

im torn between just driving it and maybe it wont break, and bringing it into a shop to have it fixed for like $500- $1200

thanks for your response, anyone else out there see this type of behavior from an automatic??

4. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Well this has been my experience.

Have a 97 1500 GMC 350. It has shifted hard since new. They said, it was that the splines on the drive shaft needed to be greased. They did that and it was soft. Once it wore out, it shifted hard again.

I think it's BS. But it's lasted for 10 years doing the same thing and never had the tranny worked on.

My 91 did the same thing.

When I mean it shifts hard. I mean on light throttle it feels like someone just rearended me. I mean HARD. Chirps the tires on occasion. That hard.

Oh, it's towed boats and trailers it's whole life. And, No other problem other then the hard shift.

But, I don't think it's the same tranny as yours. Might be though.

I kinda like it.:)

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

On the one hand I'm glad to hear I ain't the only one with these malfunctions.

On the other I would find out what is the difference between you fixing it now and having it fixed later (as in, if it totally craps out). Obviously I can't tell you what to do but it might not be that much more if you just drive it, I would still want to find out just in case there's a thousand dollar or more gap... I don't know, it could be a rebuild is right in line with what you're going to pay now, or it might be a ways out there, I haven't a clue but it might be useful information help you reach a decision (or not lol).

I'm going to look into adjusting some shift mechanism as well, both the dodge forum and the manual mentions it just I hate fooling with something I'm not familiar with... I'm the kind of guy if it ain't broke don't fix it, wouldn't be the first time I went tearing into something and it ended up costing me a whole lot more than if I had just let it be.

6. causalitist

awesome, thanks alot for your opinions, thats great to hear your truck shifts hard too .. in all gears or just into 2nd?

7. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Mine only shifts VERY hard into second. It's tight shift into third.

8. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

Topsites, if you have Dodge make sure you adjust your tranny bands, that is usually the problem when Dodge's don't want to shift. I just bought one last month with a "bad transmission" bought it cheap fixed it then sold for a profit.

9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

A firm shift is what you want. A smooth shift will wear out the clutch packs faster. I used to install shift kits in tranny's to firm the shift up. If it shifted very hard in all gears I would suspect the accumulator. But it's only 2nd gear so that can be ruled out. Now the freewheeling effect would possibly indicate the direct clutch seal or clutch plates are going bad. But I can rule this out because your other gears hold fast. So this leads me to a possible dirty and sticking valve body. I would install a heavy duty shift kit. This way you get the valve body and spools cleaned. Then the shift kit will better time your shifts. It has been many years since I worked on cars. We used to use Transgo shift kits. They can be bought in many ranges of shifting up to full race options. Also if this doesn't work your kit will not be wasted if you choose to rebuild the tranny.

10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

causalitist, the trans in your truck is a 700R4. It sounds like it has to much throttle pressure. This can be adjusted at the throttle linkage where it hooks to the throttle body. The cable is located on the lower part of the cable bracket. The cable end has a adjustable end on it with a spring all tied onto the end of the cable. You'll see a metal push tab with a small hole in the center on the tab. Push in on the tab with whatever you can use (finger, screwdriver etc.), when the tab is pushed in, you can slide the cable housing in and out on the bracket, you'll want to slide it towards the throttle body. After the cable has moved in, you can release the tab. At this point, you lowered the throttle pressure and need to re-set the cable to bring the cable back out to the proper length. All you have to do is get inside and push the gas pedal to the floor (truck not running) you'll hear a ratcheting/clicking noise, that is normal and your done. Test drive it to see if it helps. If it's the same, you can push the tab and move the cable 1 click at a time in until it shifts alittle softer. If it still does it, it might have worn/sticking governor springs.

Hope this helps
    (25 year mechanic)