Truck Size

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Blades Lawn Maintenance, Apr 30, 2012.

?

What is th truck size you use

1. 1500/f150

59 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. 2500/f250

90 vote(s)
    48.1%
  3. 3500/f350

30 vote(s)
    16.0%
  4. Other.. Please name

21 vote(s)
    11.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LawnMastersTN

LawnMastersTN LawnSite Senior Member

1997 Dodge 2500 4X4 ext cab cummins 6-speed swap. And one guy mentioned he couldnt hail his leaf box with it or top soil. I carry around a 6X14 leaf box and no issues. I can pretty much put anything I want on it and go.

2. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Lets see pick up truck has a pick up bed so a 6x14 would never ever fit on that. Therefore by process of elimination your leaf box is on a trailer isn't it. There is a big difference from towing 6-8000 pounds of leaves then having them sit on the truck itself.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

anyone else saw these guys with Tundra's pulling a 5th wheel or horse trailer? I just don't know.... Say something is rated at 3/4 ton and still have 6 lug wheels...

4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

You'd be surprised with the 5.7 Tundras. My buddy has an '08 5.7 and he previously owned two Chevy 2500HD Duramax's ('05 & '06). He tows cars with it all the time since he owns a car shipping company. He has a big rig but uses the Tundra to pickup local cars around town and bring them to his yard so he doesn't have to drive the big rig. He says that the Tundra tows much better than his Duramax's did with the exception of the gas mileage. He said the braking is much better too. Plus it's a lot more reliable than the Chevy's were. His duramax's had all sorts of problems in the time he owned them.

5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

2009 4 cylinder toyota tacoma 4x4

6. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Hey y'all I got a quick question. I started this thread cause I was thinking I need a bigger truck but what do y'all think. I have a 2002 dodge ram 1500 that pulls a 6x12 with a 50" ztr and a 33" walk behind. I plan on making this my career so should I try to invest in a Bigger truck right now or am I good with the truck I have?

7. LawnMastersTN

Yes I do have a leaf box trailer but had a box at one time in the 8' bed of the truck and had it full many times and had no issues. I do have 3500 springs but nothing near a 4500 or 5500. Only reason I switched to a trailer box was so I could go out all day and not have to drop leaves off so much.

8. LawnMastersTN

I would stick with what you have now til you get to where you need the pulling power.

9. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'd say it's really up to you. if you come across a good deal you might wanna jump at it.

I have a 07 dodge ram 1500 that pulls a 7' x 14' enclosed trailer with a 52" stand on, a 36" walkbehind and a 21 incher plus handhelds and fuel.

as soon as I find a deal on a 3/4 ton I'm sold. for the sole reason of just because that's what I want. I don't need a 3/4 ton at all, ever. and won't ever need it with the services I offer. except for the fact I do snow removal with an 8' blade. the truck handles it just fine but a 3/4 ton would be better for it.

10. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

Yeah I may keep my eyes open for a truck. I'd like to get a 3/4 ton truck but money is too tight with the five clients I have