truck stalls when using dump body

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Apr 25, 2004.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: well here the problem when i operate my dump body the truck runs eractic and if i dont keep steady pressure on the gas pedal it will stall, as soon as i back off the switch it runs fine. i recently changed the altinator and has a new battery from before winter, really not sure what else to look for, any help. tony

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like the hydraulic motor is pulling alot of amps and the alternator isnt putting out enuff to keep up. you may need a special high out put alternator or go to a dual battery set up to keep enuff voltage in the system to operaste the truck and trailer at the same time

3. General Grounds

:blob3: i have an high output alt, and bual battery setup, both batteries are new in oct.

4. skmodmsl

skmodmsl LawnSite Member

What make make, model, and year truck ? I seem to remember a friend mentioning something similiar to your predicament on a recent Ford. An electical aftermarket accessory was added to the truck. When using the new toy the truck would stall. If I remember correctly it had to do with a computer glitch.

5. General Grounds

:blob3: its a1990 chevy 3500.

6. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

What you really need to do is find the documentation on both the motor/pump for the dump and alternator and battery/s for the truck. If the motor requires 10 amps and your alternator gives 8 (even though it is new) you will have the truck stall.

Also, make sure all other electrical sources are off (i.e. lights, radio, a/c, etc.) Basically, you will maximize the amperage (power) to your dump motor.

How about the idle RPM's on your truck? Is it running too low?

7. General Grounds

:blob3: for all this time there was no problem seems like it started from nowhere. tony

8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you dump motor is shorting out or grounding some were. Check all the wires and connectors.