1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

truck suggestions...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Jul 11, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I think I MIGHT be able to swing a new(er) truck soon.
    Ideally, I'd like to stay around $10-12 grand, but MAY go up to $15 grand.

Currently I only pull a 5'x10' with a single wb and a 21" trim mower. But next year may go up to a 6'x12' and a second larger wb or maybe even a ztr.

No plans for plowing at this time.

Ford dealers advertising 8cyl 5sp. F150 for $15 grand. I think it's only a 4x2.
    Could probably find something a few years old with heavier duty set up (F250 or so, 4x4, etc.) for same or less money. But kinda like the idea of new.

Thoughts? Thanks guys.
  2. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

I like the idea of new also.I'm only 15 and as you may have guessed,have seriously been looking at trucks lately.Sounds to me like you could find a better deal on a truck than that.Take into consideration though,that you're not buying a bike,this is a vehicle...slow down(unless you need a new truck immediatley),look around for good deals,and try and talk the owners down.Also,I agree,I like new trucks better than old.My advice to you would be to put it off,save up a little more money for a little bit nicer/newer truck,and in the meantime,look for deals while you're saving up.Also,personally,I like fords,but would consider Toyotas(beleive it or not).The tacoma may be a little too small,but the toyota tundra are decent sized.Hope this helps.
  3. highpoint2

highpoint2 LawnSite Member

Good luck with your truck. I'd suggest an older 4x4 rather than the newer 4x2. I'm in my 5th truck right now. All five have been 4x4, and all 5 have found themselves in situations where 4x4 was usefull if not nessecary. If you do go used, i'd suggest manual transmission. they're much cheaper to fix w/out warrenty.
    Again, best of luck!!:blob3:
  4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

My suggestion would be the 2001 F550 PSD 4x4 with a 12 Ft Dominator Dump body and a 9 Ft Fisher V plow.
    I think the whole package would run around $ 42,000.
    If you put down $10,000 you'd be carrying a note for about $ 650.00 a month for 5 years.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

maybe you should consider leasing and get the exact truck you want as long as you can swing the payments? just a thought. im kind of partial to chevy. i have a 2002 2500 HD on order, but ive had a few 1500 silverados and they were awesome. id say you dont really need to get 4 wheel drive unless it snows often. i didnt look where your from though.
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ooohhh, ONLY $650 a month!?!?! Well, heck, if that's all it's gonna cost me. Let me just reach into my pocket and pull out my rolls of money.
    Maybe I should just go ahead and hire a driver too?
  7. AndrewLawn

AndrewLawn LawnSite Member

hahaha,gotgetter...I love you man.