Truck Tailgate Ramp

Discussion in '<a href=' started by MowingCorey, May 14, 2003.

1. MowingCorey

MowingCorey LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Has anyone built a ramp to load a mower/4-wheeler that fits into a truck's 2" trailer hitch? I have looked at "Safe-T-Ramp" on the Internet, but I would like to build a ramp to load my lawn mower into the back of my truck and then have the ramp lay flat to become a "shelf" to carry a push mower or other equipment. I am thinking of making it 5 feet wide and 6 feet long. When it is laying flat, I'd like to made the last 2 feet of ramp fold up so only 4 feet is sticking out behind the truck. Any thoughts?
  2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

There is a ramp out there that does that. But I think it only extends your bed by 2', not 4'. Not sure if it fits into the hitch or attaches where your tailgate would normally attach.

I also can't remember which manufacturer it is. Try a search on the net for "truck ramps".

If nothing else, you might be able to get ideas from the pictures to help you build yours.
  3. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

I have a flat bed that has a 4' dove tail and 4' fold up gate. it slides in the back stake pockets.

If you are putting this on a original truck bed make sure it is attached well enough (strong) to support the load.

I have a bar that slides into the receiver hitch. Then the dove tail slides into the back stake pockets and the square pipe on the end of the first bar.

It's our truck for the tight areas that the trailer has trouble in.

Works pretty good.