1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck Tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by scottishmaximus, Oct 26, 2006.

1. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Looking for some 245 75 16 E tires with good grip as i will probably plow with them. Also looking for decent tread wear. Any recommendations. I'm trying to stay under $150/ tire. I am considering BF Goodrich Commercial T/A Traction, BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A, and American Prospector.

What do you recommend?
  2. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have had BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO Tires before and I loved them. Here is a link to them at Tire Rack.

I put about 60,000 miles on them and would have gotten more if not for the front end getting out of alimnment and tearing up the two front tires.

They are a good solid tire, best gripping A/T tires I have ever had and they do excellent in the mud. I do not live in a snow region, so i cannot speak fro snow, but I would recommend them for your application.
  3. scottishmaximus

from ohio

Those BFG's are really popular. I know someone who has them on the rear of his truck and they really didn't last too long for him. Reading online a lot of people swear by them. I'm not exactly sold and they are kinda pricey.
  4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You should have two sets of tires a winter set mounted on separate rims I don't know what kind of rims you have currently but if you could find some good used steel wheels would work. Then mount some traction tires on them like the BFG Commercial Traction T/A, Uniroyal Traction,Goodyear Workhorse Traction or Big O X/T or M/T. Get 235/85R16 size they are narrower and taller which will give you more bite.

The BFG Commercial Traction is a good snow tire heard good results from them in snow but they do wear quick.
  5. scottishmaximus

from ohio

I like your advice Gravel Rat. I just can't see having two sets of tires for the little snow we get. Some years we are lucky to scrape, others we may get a real heavy storm. Usually we get about 5 scrapable events, the rest is salting. Most of my plowing is in 2wd. A few times a year I get into mud and need 4wd. So i guess i'm looking for a decent all around tire.
  6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I like the BFG ATs.......and also Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos....

7. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree with Bridgestone Dueler Revos.
  8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I thought maybe your doing lots of plowing its why I suggested separate wheels but seeing as your not a good cross bettween a A/T and Traction tire is what you need.

A good all around tire would be the Michelin LTX M/S might be a little on the expensive side but the tires ride nice.
  9. FordManKubotaDreamer

FordManKubotaDreamer LawnSite Member

I put my vote on Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. There a good all around tire and I really like them on my truck :)