1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck To Use!?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mcmillanlawncare, Jan 27, 2007.

1. mcmillanlawncare

mcmillanlawncare LawnSite Member

i researching some used trucks

1995-Dodge RAM
    1996-FORD F150

couple others but i think there to small to handle pulling a trailer with mowers on them. or even an enclosed trailer.

Does anyone use a dodge ram?
  2. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you have the specs. on the trucks? engine size, model, etc. What will you be pulling?
  3. kansas_turf_man

kansas_turf_man LawnSite Member

In my experience...I'd get a new truck a couple days of downtime on something without a warranty can kill. I run 3 New Ford f-550's for my landscaping business.
  4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

What size ram 1500, 2500, 3500?

I personally have a 1500 2wd 94 Dodge 5.9L Magnum. Really no complaints about it. I pulled around my my Bro's 14ft Starcraft Speed boat with out a problem. I used her to couple of times to go pick up material's for some smaller jobs. Use her as a truck to haul tools and a shrub crew in 23 building condo project which is a lot easier driving around projects then a F450-550. (Plus our condo clientele is a older generation and really don't like the load noise of diesels flying around there homes.)

Other than basic maintenance such as Tie Rods, ball joints, brakes, belts, tires, etc. The only parts that I needed to replace so far is a water pump, thermostat, alternator, Ignition coil, exhaust work (yeah no mufflers straight piped she sounds beautiful), MAP and Throttle Position sensor. At a 165K she's doing good.

Bigger truck are nice but you always need that smaller truck.

Nothing against ford but up here in WI with the road salt, factory paint doesn't hold up to well up here.
  5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

A half ton truck will do ok pulling mowers but if your going into a full service landscaping company I would recomend getting a 3/4 ton truck.
  6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 97 1500 and a 98 3500 - the 1500 is a gasser and I love the truck - and it loves gas. It is ok for pulling an open trailer like a lawn maintenance rig with the normal equipment. But anything heavier than that is just too hard on the truck. That is why I bought the 1-ton - I will never have another half ton or anything that is not diesel . The difference is astounding . With the bigger truck I can pull the dingo trailer fully loaded and put two pallets of sod on the flatbed . The dingo trailer alone makes the bumper nearly touch the ground on the 1500 ( slight exaggeration ). I am a Dodge fan and always will be - but it is very important to have enough truck for your designated use , regardless of the brand .
  7. CoreyD

CoreyD LawnSite Member

Heck i use a 96 jeep cherokee with a 4.0 inline 6 and it'll pull my stepdads 28 ft pontoon boat 60 miles with no problems it weighs at least 1500 to 2000 lbs..... 6 cylinders arnt bad
  8. mcmillanlawncare

mcmillanlawncare LawnSite Member

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Looks OK, it doesn't give very much info about the engine/drive train. It could be the 5.2 or the 5.9 I believe, I'm not really a Dodge man.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'd look long and hard to see if you can find a 3/4 ton series (250 / 2500).

Some of the guys insist on full tons (350 / 3500's) or bigger, and even thou I don't think you need that much, I can sure see where they're coming from.

They cost more but the gears are spaced closer together, so it has more torque and that's less wear on the clutch / transmission bands.
    Plus everything's more heavy duty, the brake pads and rotors are bigger, et.al...