TRUCK TOOL BOXES?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Dec 9, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you have tool boxes on your trucks? If you do have one what kind would you suggest? Plastic, Metal, or the Diamond Plate ones. I had a tonneau cover on my truck and just took it off as it was more of a pain in the @ss than anything. I thought a tool box would be great for keeping spare belts, trimmer line, ect. What brand name would you suggest? Thanks for your advice.
    Mowman

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't have one on my truck. But I have one on the tongue of the trailer. Its diamond plate aluminun.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Don't get plastic, because everyone I've seen in trucks sag in the middle. The steel ones end up rusting and looking bad, but the diamond plated aluminum boxes look great for years. I have one on my 3 year old truck with diamond plated rail and tail gate protectors. I have had several compliments from members here that have seen my truck on my website. I guess most people don't expect an old man to have a nice looking truck. :)

4. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have Diamond Plate on truck.. I recommend the type where the whole front lifts up not the two ends..they are to hard to remove things from.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree Dennis, my box has the one piece lid and it can be opened from either side. I also have the extra big box and got the extra tool tray so I have one on each side.

6. Pauls Mowing

Pauls Mowing LawnSite Member

My 1/2 ton p/u has a plastic box with a full width lid that opens from either side. My 1 ton flat dump has a Reading steel box mounted under the rack on the curb side.

Paul

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

on my TOY 4X4. this on top of a factory bed liner.

bought it at walley world but that doesn't matter. looks great, gets compiments, and it does a great job! I'm very happy with it.

BTW--I don't use the TOY to carry a bunch of crap. I carry the crap on the trailer. when I drop the trailer, the TOY is ready for a TENESSEE cadilac night on the town.

GEO

8. guntruck

guntruck LawnSite Senior Member

I have an aluminum diamond plate box also on the truck, and plan to put one on the tongue of the trailer also. The aluminum is the way to go, plastic wont hold up as long and will warp in time.

9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Get a truck cap over the entire bed and turn your entire bed into a tool box! Once you have had one you'll wonder why you never had one before.

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Diamond tread on truck. Plastic on trailer.