1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Truck topper or cap?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Enforcement FM, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Lawn Enforcement FM

Lawn Enforcement FM LawnSite Member

I just traded for a F-150 which has a one of those nice toppers on it that matches the truck. As I am getting my equipment together, I can't decide if the topper can be useful. Does any one use one on their truck? Do they have any place in the lawn care industry? Could you put enclosed trailer racks to hold the trimmers and edgers in the back of the truck so they are not in the open on the trailer?

Thanks for any input.
  2. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a Dodge Ram with a color-matched cap, and I like it. I'm a solo dude, so I don't carry a lot of handheld stuff, so I just stash it inside the cap, out of sight. It also gives me a bigger space for signage. I've got large letters on both sides of the cap as well as the back window.

When I need to haul stuff in the back, I just grab a couple of my kids and take it off. Very convenient.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a truck with one and the guys made me take it off.
    Very hard to get things out of the back compared to the trailer.
    As you grow and start doing mulch and other things it will be even more of a pain.
    Don't invest any money on racks for it yet, just use it and see how you like it.
    If you take it off, Keep it for winter use. Or if you travel.

Just saw you are from FLA. Winter use will not mater.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had one on my previous truck and I liked it. If I got in a rain storm I could put my trimmers in the back and keep them dry. Also it kept my tool box and gas cans dry, and also in the spring when applying fertilizer if a shower of rain comes along you can put it in the back of the truck and keep the rain off it. It also keeps the honest thief from walking off with items.
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I like mine for all of the reasons that were already mentioned.
  6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I love my topper,

I can put tools in the bed and leave them over night with no problem of stealing, also They dont get rainned on

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I should add that the above reasons are good and that I did not state them because I use mostly enclosed trailers.
  8. Greg313

Greg313 LawnSite Member
    from Houston

9. Lawn Enforcement FM

Lawn Enforcement FM LawnSite Member

That slide is a neat idea, but a bit pricey. I might make 1 though.
  10. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

I took mine off, real nice fiber glass topper with side sliders. I might have kept it but I am always putting a 4 wheeler in the back for camping every weekend and my kids aren't big enough to help take it on and off. Anyway, I do think there is a good place for them, especially hunting with my dog, he wanted my to keep it!!!