Truck towing improvements

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Coach, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Coach

Coach LawnSite Member

I have a 3/4 ton Chevy 6.0 would like to add power and fuel mileage, would like any imput or informtion on cold air return and programmers. Will this help me while towing my mowing equipment. Thanks in advance.

C.J.

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

How much and what type of equipment are you towing?

3. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

You'll waste your money on all that aftermarket Hype and still suck gas.....

What are you rear-end gears?? If they are Higher than 4.10 That would be your first problem.. A good tune up and proper gearing should have you towing 12K and below at 10-11 MPG.. Least Gas is under 3 bucks, MPG depends a lot in how you drive also..

If your really into the aftermarket stuff about the only thing I'd do is drop a K&N in your fac. box.. Tuners really don't give much bang for buck on a gasser..

4. hockeypro1411

hockeypro1411 LawnSite Senior Member

You can't get both power and fuel mileage. You shouldn't expect that truck to get any kind of decent mileage, especially when towing. The best thing you can do is go to www.blackbearperformance.com and look into getting a custom tune from Justin. It will blow any handheld programmer out of the water.

5. Impressions Landscaping

Impressions Landscaping LawnSite Member

I don't mean to be blunt, but you chose to buy and drive a 3/4 ton truck. Right from the get go you should know it is gonna be terrible on fuel. I wouldn't even bother trying to get it to be better on fuel....however upgrades on power on the newer stuff is tough depending on what you do. You could start with a simple exhaust system and air intake, if that doesn't float your boat you could try a pcm tune, if that isn't enough get into the motor...heads pistons etc. Most of the bolt on things won't get you any noticeable amounts of power, so you have to go inside the motor to start making good power.

6. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

your saying a 4:10 rearend is a bad thing? ;)

7. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

4.10 is bad for mileage Junior, bless your heart.

8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

No s#it sherlock.. :hammerhead:

The OP wants it for pulling and he is saying its a bad thing? Kind of an oxymoron imo.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Keeping the foot off the gas and "driving with load" saves fuel, the entire
    truck and all the parts last a whole lot longer, also helps keep insurance
    rates down.

If a 6.0 is not enough power for you?

10. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

No, My point to put it more bluntly is that the 6.0 GM GAS engine is not a torque monster by any means.....

There were some "grocery getters" built with 3.73's which is way too high for a 6.0 gas pulling any kind of weight..

Yes, with no load the 3.73's will get more mileage

With load the 4.10's will actually to better, as you wont have the BS of down shifting and torque converter lock/unlock...

Hence my comment of towing 12K and below W/4.10's

Lets not forget about those that are running around with 265 or 285's an 3.73 when stock tire size for this era was 245/75/16:nono: