Truck / Trailer Combo Licensing Requirements

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Why tell people you they need a CDL if they don't need it?

2. burnthecouch

burnthecouch LawnSite Member

Knew I should have added that part for you since you seem to no believe anyone else in this thread. It was a 2005 F250 nothing that would even get you close to the other magic number of 26,001 legally.

3. Duffster

from Midwest

No need to get wise about it.

The OP can't prove his position and I doubt you can either.

I doubt that was the first cop to misinterpret the law and probably won't be the last.

4. burnthecouch

burnthecouch LawnSite Member

Maybe out in the Midwest the cops don't understand the laws but these were DOT cops brought out by local regional cops to verify the load being over the legal letter of the law. We were also told the same thing about the limits after that incident when we had our DOT audit of the entire fleet of trucks and trailers to make out DOT numbers compliant with the federal law.

The only way I've heard of people getting away with it is to register the trucks and trailers as a combination thus taking legal payload capacity off the tow vehicle and allowing for the trailer to carry more. And that still wouldn't protect you if the right person decided to pull you over at the wrong time.

I've seen them stop multiple people leaving supply yards this year for similar reasons and in many cases trailers were left sitting along the side of the road till someone could come back to legally tow it home. Also for a fact you cannot register a trailer in this state over the 10,001 limit without proof of a cdl license or a licensed cdl driver in your company hence the reason for my dump trailer being registered at 9,999lbs.

5. Duffster

from Midwest

Burnthecouch,

I like your username LOL

I appreciate that fact you may have been told you need a CDL and I beleive you when you say that Law Enforcement told you that. That said that doesn't mean that said LE was right. They may even know that they are wrong but continue to generate income this way knowing that there is enough people like yourself that will just take it as gospel.

I know people from PA through forums like this and in person that is why I know the law is the same as here.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Duffster - man you've spent alotta time arguing with folks here.

How can you argue with

a) that a well educated person, whom work in management for 20 years at MVA stated the law?

b) that a friend of mine recently was cited?

How can YOU sit there and say no such law exists? LOL

HOW????

Sure you may know people from here and there, I think we all do. Many folks will *speculate* that no such law exists because they NEVER inquired. But if they would call and speak with the appropriate individuals they could find out otherwise. My buddy that got nailed drove through the same scale house every day for the last 5 years, and never had an issue. If I would have told him about this law - he would have told me I'm full of crap. Then one day they flagged him to come inside.

Do you think people don't contect tickets in court? Do you think a law enforcement official would continue to write tickets that a judge would say were not legit?? Then everytime the officer had his court days for his tickets - the judge would always remeber him as the idiot that wrote tickets for laws that were non-existant! The judge would make a mockery of the officer!! No officer would let that happen.

Duffster - trust me - such laws do in fact exist. If your state doesn't have such laws - then what do you care?

You can ncontinue to argue with the moon till you're blue in the face! I seldom call people names on forums - but I must say you truely are one bonified idiot , Duffster.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  7. DVS Hardscaper

Just be careful with that. The DOT enforcement officials will go off of any of the following:

a) the weight plate that the factory put on the trailer.
    b) what you registered it at assuming you registered it correctly (which you didn't)
    c) the actual physical weight

Pennsylvania is another state that is a huge participant in the federal govt's funding for random, roadside inspections.

8. Duffster

from Midwest

You claim to be able to back up your claims, but can't or won't.

You can't read plain english or follow a very simple flow chart.

You can't prove your point so you resort to name calling. :laugh:

9. DVS Hardscaper

LOL

Quick, get Duffster his blood pressure pills! Poor soul has lost sleep over this law!

Can you imagine what his siginficant other must put up with?

10. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

You would never get to the second box if you followed the yes arrow, so why mention it? According to the chart, I am 100% correct. Like Andrew Wilkow (a radio talk show host) says: I am right, you are wrong, end of story.

PS: I am not saying that the law is the same in every state; I am saying that you are misreading that chart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.